Please sign in to post.

GAS tour Sept 20th 2014

We just signed up for the GAS tour for Sept 20, 2014. Anyone else sign up yet?

Posted by
2261 posts

Okay, I'll bite; what's the GAS tour?

Posted by
408 posts

Germany, Austria and Switzerland Rick Steve's tour. We did the Best of Europe in 2006 and enjoyed it. We usually travel on our own but we have some friends that have not been to Europe yet do we thought a tour would be a good introduction for them. We have been to most of these places but love them enough to visit them again.

Posted by
2261 posts

Wow, I see that now-it looks spectacular. Good for you! Maybe in two years for us!

Posted by
32201 posts

Darla, I've never taken that particular tour, but I've encountered several of them when travelling around Europe. I've chatted with a few of the tour members, and they all seemed to be having a wonderful time. I'm sure you and your friends will have a fantastic tour. Cheers!

Posted by
32736 posts

I ran into a GAS last year, or was it the year before, when they were staying at the same hotel as us in Muerren. Everybody looked like they were having the time of their life. Chatting to the guide was fun too.

Posted by
408 posts

The only negative to the tour is we only spend three nights in Murren and one night in Hallstatt. We are hikers and love the outdoors so more time would be nice. I like the tour aspect so all the driving is taken care of and the history lessons bring the cities to life. It's always fun meeting new friends and sharing our travel stories with the other tour mates. I am hoping we get a good group like we did on our last Rick Steves tour. No grumps. We will be in Munich for our third Octoberfest. We never get tired of good Bavarian beer.

Posted by
134 posts

Hi Darla, We took the GAS Tour last year and it is fantastic! Our scrapbook is in the tour section if you want to look at it (Theresa and William Barr). You will have a great time.
Teri

Posted by
408 posts

I have looked at your scrape book several times now. I love all your photos. Your trip looked great! My friends just booked today also. Well, that's four so far. I'm counting the days 390. We will start in Amsterdam for three nights then one extra night in Trier prior to the tour. Any suggestions on what to see or do in Trier?

Posted by
35 posts

Thinking about it.. Will this tour put us in Munich during the Octoberfest? Trying to decide if we want to schedule the trip around this time, and if this is something the tour will partake in??

Posted by
134 posts

Hi Darla, I would suggest stopping at the TI just inside Porta Nigra to get a map. The Dom and it's garden would be at the top of my list. We also enjoyed the Rheinisches Museum. It is fairly small, but well done with some nice Roman mosaics. The Imperial Baths were on our list, but we couldn't locate them. The Basilica of Constantine is now a Luthern Church. You get a nice walking tour of the town with the tour, but we didn't get to see the inside of the Basilica as church services were underway, so if you get a chance you might look inside on your own. It is quite imposing from the outside. Trier is a nice town for just walking around and looking at the interesting buildings too.
Teri

Posted by
408 posts

Diane, We took the Best of Europe Tour in 2006 during Octoberfest and we were able to go to the festival. It is hard to get into but we were 6 in our group that got in. Munich was just a stop on the Best of Europe tour. We will have two days in Munich so I am thinking we will use some of our free time to go to Octoberfest. It starts on the 20th of Sept. I have been two times already, it is crowded and hard to get into a tent. It's best to get their early and get a table. I hope you join us.

Posted by
408 posts

When I say it's hard to get in, I mean into a beer tent. Octoberfest is a large Carnival/Fair that is free and easy to get into.

Posted by
175 posts

Darla,
My wife and I along with another couple plan to sign up for the My Way GAS tour starting September 21, 2014. We have already travelled on 2 previous Rick Steves tours. The couple that will be joining us traveled with us independently in Italy last year and we had such a great time together that we thought we would try the My Way tour. I have never been to Oktoberfest and that is on my "bucket list." Looking forward to the tour followed by another week in Bruges and Amsterdam.

Posted by
408 posts

Dean, Bruges is a lovely town. Make sure you go to the Half Man brewery. It's a small local brewery in town with a tour. Have a great trip.