Please sign in to post.

Garmisch-Partenkirchen

My husband and I will be in Munich in two weeks and were thinking about a possible day trip. I've been looking at the website for Garmisch-Partenkirchen but had some questions I hope someone can help me with. I was looking at the schedules on the Deutsch Bahn website and if I'm reading it correctly we take the train to Murnau and then have to take a bus from their to Garmish. Is that correct? If I looked at the schedule for today, there were trains with no connections to Garmish. Is there a secret to getting the direct train? Can we use the same type of ticket (I can't remember the name) for Garmish-Partenkirchen that we would use for Salzburg (28 euros for up to 5 people)?

Posted by
12040 posts

Where are you seeing that? I just checked DB, and all I saw were direct connection between the two. The only thing I can think of is for the particular date you checked, there may be temporary track work.

Posted by
17238 posts

It is normally a direct connection by train.

However, I looked at the schedule for different days this month, and it shows that the direct train connection runs through 27 August. On the 28th, they start showing only the bus-train route, which takes about 30 minutes longer. There must be a scheduled service interruption or something, lasting through the date of your intended travel.

The good news is that the price is the same---36 euro for the 5 of you.

Hopefully the expert on the German train system (Lee) will see your question and explain more fully.

Posted by
20 posts

I am hoping to do a Munich-Garmisch run on Sept 30 2010 and if i am reading the schedule right there is a train with no connections into Garmisch. Lots of stops but no change of trains. It said the fare is 36 euro for 2--I am confused too. Isn't this covered on the Bayern ticket for 28 euros or did the price go up? Sorry to jump in on your post but we are both seeking the same train advice. Thanks in advance

Posted by
19238 posts

Tom and Lola pretty much nailed it. The train from Munich normally goes all the way to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, but for some reason that track line will be out of service and they are providing substitute bus service, called SEV for Schienenersatzverkehr around the area. The Bahn says it is "not every day, 30. Aug until 10. Sep 2010 Mo - Fr".

It's no big deal, although it will take a little longer. The train from Munich will stop in the Murnau station and they will make an announcement you won't understand because it is in German. Everyone will get off the train and go to the parking lot on the other side of the tracks where buses will be waiting. The stop for those buses will probably be marked with a purple hexagon with SEV in white letters. A point-point ticket to Garmisch-P (or your Bayern-Ticket) will be sufficient, but I've never seen them check for a ticket. The bus will take you to the Garmisch Bahnhof. That's it.

I first encountered an SEV in 2007, when the spur line from Murnau to Oberammergau was closed. We got off of the train in Murnau, but instead of another train, there were the buses.

Last year I encountered them four times, first in Munich, on an S-Bahn line, then the same day from Grafing to Rosenheim on the way to Salzburg. Later there was one between Bayrischzell and Schliersee in the foothills of the Alps, then from Garmisch-P to Reutte. Someone just encountered an SEV between Munich and Buchloe on the way to Füssen. Summer is when they do track maintenance in Germany. It pays to look at the Bahn schedule for your exact day. Check it just before you travel. Sometimes the train you want will leave a little early to account for the delay.

Posted by
19238 posts

Paula,

the construction work will be done Sept 10. Direct train service will be restored by the 30th.

The €28 Bayern-Ticket will be valid for both of you. If you specify "only local transport", then it should show up under Savings fares, but you have to specify local transport so it knows you want regional trains.

Posted by
19238 posts

For Aug 30 to Sept 10, on weekdays, they show the SEV service from Murnau to Seefeld in Tirol. For Aug 28 to Sept 12, weekends, they show the SEV service from Murnau just to Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

Mittenwald is not shown as a stop on the SEV. To go there, you get off in Ga-P and take a regularly scheduled bus to Mittenwald.