Please sign in to post.

French Walking Trails

I'm sure there are question regarding this topic on this website but after several minutes of search I came up with nothing. Does anyone have a current book or website or information that can show me a map or give instruction on the thousands upon thousands of miles of French walking trails? I've done plenty of google searches but everything I find is at least 5 years old and most of my results are older. Also, are French walking tours good to do with small children? I'm talking.....2 years old or younger. Obviously they would have to be carried throughout and their things would have to be packed in our (wife and I) bags. Am I crazy to be thinking about this?? Thanks for any help.

Posted by
72 posts

Hi Zach, I've had good luck with Omni Maps when looking for hiking books and other maps for Europe: http://www.omnimap.com/catalog/guides/index.htm I recently purchased several of the Cicerone Press guides mentioned on the Omni Map website (although I ordered them through my local independent bookstore, but I have ordered other items through Omni and had great service with them). The Cicerone guides have had great information, good basic maps, hiking time info, other things to do in the surrounding area etc...I haven't actually used them on the trail yet, as the trip I'm planning will take place in August 2012. I've purchased the books for: Mont Blanc Walks, Dordogne, and Walks and Climbs in the Pyrenees. They mostly contain day hikes, with a handful of longer multi day hikes thrown in. Hope this helps!