Please sign in to post.

French Riviera

If you had pick which beach on the Riviera to spend just a 1/2 day which one would it be? Is Cannes versus St Tropez in the discussion or would there be a better option? Will have a car and will be driving a couple of hours after we leave the beach so an available shower may be welcome. Planning to be there the last week in May 2013. Thanks

Posted by
32757 posts

Certainly none east of Nice airport to Italy. While they are beautiful, and we love to walk along the shore especially around Cap Ferrat and towards Monaco, they are hard on the feet. What from a distance looks like beautiful sand isn't. It is small sharp stones or shingle. Get thee a pair of beach shoes, at least.

Posted by
8700 posts

Antibes would be a good choice. The beach is sandy. Take time to explore the walled old town. If you are an art lover, visit the Picasso Museum.

Posted by
249 posts

We liked Le Lavandou, one hour west of St Tropez, nice sand, great restaurant on beach. Umbrella, two chairs, and table for all day (17€) available but not required.

Posted by
175 posts

Hello Allan, Cannes has a very nice sandy beach right downtown which you might enjoy. Nice is pretty much rocks! Lots of people and lots of rocks. My daughter wants to go there and sit and sun on the beach and I still can't understand why. Too much PR hype I'm afraid. Antebes is a small nice town as mentioned above. Sandy beaches. The market there is interesting as is the Picasso museum. Be aware that the building is more impressive than the art of the museum. And this from a Picasso fan. Never been to St Tropez so can't help you there. Enjoy your trip, May should bring you nice weather.

Posted by
12 posts

How about a beach in Southern France with some American history tied in? This beach is just east of Saint Raphael. I don't know what the name of the beach is today, but in 1944 it was known as Camel-Green Beach and was the point at which on the 15th of August, 1944 some of the 7th Army of the United States began their fight to liberate Southern France from the Germans and eventually push them back across the Rhine River before entering Germany themselves to help end the war in Europe. Read up on Operation Dragoon and Operation Anvil for some back story. Google Maps link: http://goo.gl/maps/HngTj

Posted by
3696 posts

I like the beach between Nice and St. Tropex in the little town of St. Maxime's. It is a nice sand beach, the town has nice restaurants and shops and it is not nearly as crowded and chaotic as some of the more trendy places. Also, a number of little take out places for a picnic on the beach as well as an old carousel for ambience.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks! Some good suggestions and I'll check them out on-line. Appreciate everyone's input!

Posted by
254 posts

Saint Jean Cap Ferrat is a very exclusive enclave, that's where I would go for 1/2 day. But not if sand is too important. Cannes has a nice beach, and a nice town. When we went to St. Tropez (in summer) I wasn't that impressed and its far from other towns. Cannes to St Jean Cap Ferrat to Eze to Monaco is easy. Eze is a GREAT place to go since you're driving. So small, doesn't require much time.