Please sign in to post.

French Riviera

We are flying into Nice to take a cruise out of Savona, Italy, and are allowing 3 days to "play", possibly between Nice and the Cinque Terre (we have been to both). This is November 17, so weather is a factor. Can anyone recommend a village/town to stay in as a home base? Do you have any favorite villages/towns to explore?

Posted by
10344 posts

Yes, I agree that weather is a factor, and because of that, somewhere in the Nice area, perhaps one of the smaller towns/villages near there, would be a better bet, for this trip, than the Cinque Terre. The CT weather in November is not something you can count on, it might work out, but why roll the dice when you don't have to and have a good November weather location, the Nice area, in mind.

Posted by
20 posts

you HAVE to at least spend an afternoon in the little village of Antibes....one of my favorite places in all of France! It is postcard perfect!

Posted by
32212 posts

One note regarding Antibes (hopefully someone here will have a few comments). I had an interesting conversation a few weeks ago with someone who works on private yachts in Europe. She's spent a fair amount of time in the south of France, and in her recent experience Antibes is far worse than many places in Europe for actual "muggings" by thieves that work in groups (as opposed to pickpockets or other petty crime). The friend that she was with suffered some injuries as a result of their encounter in Antibes. ¶ I was surprised to hear that a smaller town on the Riviera would have a problem like that, but apparently this is not an "isolated incident". The Police in that area don't seem to be able to control the problem. Cheers!

Posted by
7 posts

I like Antibes but really loved Villefranche-sur-mer and being east of Nice it would be easier for your trip. We stayed there for 4 days in Sept and the beach and restaurants were fantastic. Not much beach activity in November I imagine. Menton is nice as well though a slower crowd. I wasnt too much of a fan of San Remo and the towns from the Italian border to Savona.