Please sign in to post.

french countryside

I have been researching a lot and just bought the France 2010 book, but am having a hard time deciding where to spend our last few days in France after leaving Paris. My husband and I would like to be able to spend a long weekend outside the city but not be too far out as we will be flying out of Paris to return home. And we would like to avoid renting a car, so train accessible.

Ideally, it would be a quiet countryside with castles, wine and great food. Easy to get around by foot or bike. Thank you for your help!

Posted by
355 posts

It would depend upon what you consider "too far out".
The TGV makes much of France pretty accessible. If you like wine and food, Burgundy (Beaune) is only about 2 hours away from Paris by TGV. It's a great area to explore by bicycle. The walled city of Beaune is beautiful, as is the surrounding countryside.

Posted by
9110 posts

My picks would be Reims or Rouen. Flip a coin, they're both great. Good castles are a bit scarce in France.

Posted by
448 posts

Well, my suggestion does require a car, but this recently rennovated chateau has just been well reviewed in our local papers and it's in the area that i best know , "down the road" from us, and between Auvers sur Oise and Giverny..full of fields, countryside and villages, just beyond the suburbs. Anyhow..I have NOT stayed here, but take a look at Chateau de Maudétour.com. It's not famous, like not in THE guide books, but it is in the countryside. I know you said train accessible..sorry, but once you get there, bikes and feet would work just fine...Actually, Auvers sur Oise is a possibility...charming streets, great sunday market,does have a museum/chateau, plenty of small restaurants, train accessible, famous guys in the cememetary..and yes, tourists, but most of them will leave at the end of the day.

Posted by
12040 posts

Sounds like you're describing the Loire Valley, with the exception that it would tough to get around by foot... and a rather vigourous trek by bike.

Posted by
144 posts

I would second Beaune. The Les Jardins de Lois there is a great B&B if you want to stay at a neat Boutique Winery. The wine and city are neat. We bought 22 bottles of wine there and took home.
Thanks - Bill

Posted by
719 posts

I would definitely second (or third, in this case) Beaune. My wife and I spent 2 nights there last May and it was perfect. Our day biking the burgundian countryside, on the bike path (re: no cars) through the vinyards was one of my best days in Europe. Ever. We bike quite a bit in Europe, and this casual ride was definitely worth it. The path connects all of the tiny little wine villages (Pommard, Volnay, Meursault, Puligny-Montrachet, etc.). The bike rental place will give you a tour to follow, and also recommend picnic spots for you if you'd like. The wine is the best in France (in my opinion, and the food (bouef bourgogne!) is spectacular. The Hotel Dieu (hospital for the poor)in town is also a great visit. This is definitely my choice.