Please sign in to post.

Frankfurt layover

We have an eleven hour daytime layover in Frankfurt on Sunday, May 3rd. We have never been to Frankfurt so we would appreciate any suggestions on how to spend part of that time outside of the airport?

Posted by
15 posts

We arrive by airplane at 7:30 am and depart by airplane at 7:00 pm. We, my 22 year old daughter, and myself would enjoy walking through a quaint, historic area, eating lunch where the locals eat, etc. I think a leisurely pace will be needed as we will have jet lag and we will be getting our fill of museums, sites, tours, etc. during our week stay in Prague starting the next day. Thank you!

Posted by
8942 posts

What time do you arrive in Frankfurt? Are you arriving by plane or train? When do you depart? I will post some info later.

What are your interests? Frankfurt has something for everyone!

Posted by
8942 posts

It is easy to get into town. I would buy a "gruppen karte" which will be about 14 €. This is a ticket that is good all day long and covers up to 5 people. This gets you into town, you can use it all day long and then to go back to the airport. The S-bahn takes about 11-15 min. to get into town, depending on which stop you get off. I think it is easy to get off at the Hauptwache. Walk upstairs til you get outside. This is the Zeil, our shopping mile. The stores will be closed, but restaurants will of course be open. Stand with the Kaufhof to your back and walk down between the Hako shoe store and Esprit. Go 3 blocks and you will be in the town square, the Römerplatz. If you go on through, you will be at the river Main.

Rick recommends a 3 hour walking tour in his 2009 book if you are interested. It is only 12 €, or 10 € for students. Check www.insidertours.com

Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Posted by
2779 posts

You might want to start with this virtual city tour: http://www.frankfurt.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=317578&_ffmpar[_id_inhalt]=177743 No. 18 is where the train from the airport stops (Hauptwache, as Jo said). Everything is within walking distance. On the right hand side of that website you can download the self-walking tour guide as pdf and bring the print out along. For dinner I suggest Berger St. in Frankfurt-Bornheim. From Hauptwache or Konstablerwache take underground line U4 to Bornheim Mitte, alight and then walk uphill always remaining on Berger St. About 2 blocks up on the left hand side is "Schöneberger", a very good neighborhood restaurant/beergarden. If you continue walking another 2 blocks or so (almost to the very end of that long street) you'll get to the restaurant "Zur Sonne" which has been around for more than 500 years!! Great affordable food, great beer (actually apple wine as Frankfurt is a cider city) garden, too.