Please sign in to post.

Frankfurt germany

My wife and I have a day in Frankfurt Germany. Are there any 'must' sees".

Posted by
19092 posts

From Frankfurt Hbf, Bacharach is 1:18 - 1:34 away. You could go down there, tour the town a little, take the boat to St. Goar (40 min), tour Rheinfels castle ruins, and come back on the train (1:29-1:44), easily, in a day.

Posted by
4 posts

Sounds interesting, but isn't there anything in Frankfurt to see?

Posted by
8941 posts

If you do a search on here for Frankfurt, you will pull up dozens of my posts that list the many, many things there are to see and do in Frankfurt. This is one of Germanys' most historic cities, often the capital over the centuries, home of the 1st freely elected German parliament, the site for all of the elections for the Holy Roman Empire, as well as 10 of the coronations, and a Free Imperial City. Frankfurt was the center of Jewish culture in Germany for 100's of years, with the highest amount of Jewish population until the 1900's. There are plenty of must sees, but without telling us of your interests, it is difficult to pin point what you ought to see. If I tell you of the medieval churches, but you have no desire to see those, that just puts you off visiting. We don't know if you want to see historic buildings, museums, gardens, art, scenery, etc. So, help us out here. The more information you give us, the better ideas you will receive.

Posted by
8941 posts

The only things that are closed on Sundays in Germany are the stores. All of the museums, tourist sites, restaurants, etc. are open. Have you had a look at any of my Frankfurt posts where I list the multitude of things to do here? The new Search function works really well now here on the Helpline. If you tell me the dates, I can tell you if there is a fest on, as there are tons of them this summer. Personally, I like Bornheim and the Berger Strasse better than Sachsenhausen, though I do like Dauth-Schneider and Atschel over there.

Posted by
4 posts

Unfortunately our day in Frankfurt will be on a Sunday. I realize many things may be closed. We want to enjoy the local food, historic buildings and things that are unique to the area. We're not into night life.
What about the Sachsenhausen area of Frankfurt?

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for all you help Jo.
The day we are planning to be there Sunday September 9, 2012.

Posted by
2779 posts

On a Sunday one great place to eat local food in a historic building is lunch or dinner at http://www.zursonne-frankfurt.de It's on the upper (Northern, but also up-hill) end of Berger St., one of the longest streets in Frankfurt. It's lined with local pubs, restaurants, shops... The French daily newspaper Le Monde once realized it's longer than the Champs Elysees (although much more narrow) and can probably host more people for food or drinks than the Paris main boulevard. It's a neighborhood street, hardly known by most tourists...

Posted by
24 posts

Yes to anybody who suggested Berger str. Undiscovered gem of Frankfurt. Once you find it you will find yourself walking block after block of this narrow, busy and untouristed street. It's a totaling fun, casual, and relaxing way to spend the day in Franfurt. Also, at the foot of Berger str. is secluded gem of a park where you can sit and relax amid flower gardens. There is also a restroom at this park and public restrooms on Berger str. I think the park is called Bethmann Park. I've been there many times and will be there this September. I'm the guy wearing the fanny pack and carrying the Harold Tribune. Also, the Stadle art museum is a must see for a world class art museum experience. Then maybe the Klein Market Halle.