Please sign in to post.

Frankfurt, Germany

I have 2 1/2 - 3 days on an upcoming weekend in Frankfurt, Germany. I would love to have suggested itineraries for seeing the best, most memorable, sites. There will be 4 adults staying at the Hilton Frankfurt Hotel and we'll have a car. We plan to see (drive to) some sites like Heidelberg, Rothenburg. (Day trips). Great restaurants and cafes within Frankfurt or other locations nearby would be nice. I would really appreciate any and all information or suggested itineraries that people have which will make our trip very special and memorable.

Posted by
12040 posts

If you want to see a walled, well-preserved historical town, look no further than Büdigen just to the north of Frankfurt (read Jo's report under the Trip Report section of this website), stop by Ladenburg near Heidelberg, or drive deep into the Odenwald for Michelstad (and the neighboring town of Erbach. No wall here, but still nice). The only thing Rothenburg has on these towns is more trinket shops and tour buses.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you, Tom! I will certainly check out your suggestions online! Thank you for taking the time to help me:-). Sherry

Posted by
6637 posts

Check THIS VIDEO on Büdingen. Bacharach and Oberwesel, both on the Rhine River a few km from each other, are also terrific and about 1.25 hours from Frankfurt.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks, Russ! Sounds like some great, beautiful towns to check out and see! I love castles and these look like they've got some! Information much appreciated! Sherry

Posted by
868 posts

> "The only thing Rothenburg has on these towns is more trinket shops and tour buses." And the historic centre of Rothenburg is almost 3x bigger...

Posted by
11 posts

Very good advice, Martin:-). My friends and I really want to go to Heidelburg but for our other days we'd really love seeing and exploring gorgeous smaller towns with castles and fewer crowds. We do love to shop, too, so we would like to have shops in all towns we visit. These suggested towns from people really sound lovely. Thank you!

Posted by
212 posts

If you have interest in seeing Jewish sites near Frankfurt, you should consider Worms and Speyer, in particular. That part of Germany had very strong ancient Jewish roots and there are some remnants to see -- the oldest cemetery (Worms) and the incredible mikveh and synagogue remains in Speyer. Also in Speyer, and to a lesser degree in Worms, are amazing Romanesque cathedrals, which were the model for many to follow. The one in Speyer (Kaiserdom) was the largest in Europe, larger even than Cluny.