Please sign in to post.

FRANCE - Weather in AUGUST

Planning a trip following Rick Steve's 3 week itinerary by car in France. We normally travel in the Fall but have to take our trip earlier this year. I am nervous about going in mid August. I can't seem to find weather information or history for DAYS, just 24 hr. period averages. I don't care too much about the nights, but am concerned about uncomfortable heat or humidity during the day.
Any information anyone can provide to put me at ease will be helpful. I have got to get our reservations and plans finalized. Thanks in advance! Yolanda from California

Posted by
1068 posts

Here's a site where you can the "averages" tab and use the cool little slider to discover that France can be pretty reasonable in August: http://www.holiday-weather.com/country/france/ That being said, I've been in France in August a number of times, and I was usually miserable and sweaty. I don't like heat (which is why I live in Seattle, despite its podunky-ness), so I might not have the tolerance you do, but it can get hot. In the 90s hot. And it can get that hot in Paris just like it can in Aix-en-Provence. I've sweltered through heaty hotty days from the south to the north in August. But again, it looks like averages at high-60s to mid-70s, which is very pleasant for most folks. Pack breezy clothing and a paper fan, is my advice. Also - keep hydrated! You'll have a blast anyway, despite the temps. That's why I keep going back in the summer if it's the only time I can get away. :-)

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi, If you can stand the heat in Corona in Aug., you'll have no problems in Paris. It's more uncomfortable with Paris at 80F than Sacramrnto at 80F. The times I have been to Paris in August have been hot, sometimes oppresively, but apart from the weather factor, there are advantages of going there in August.

Posted by
11507 posts

I have been in August many times. It has been hot, really hot, but its also been cool and rainy .. so basically I always get a hotel with a/c but, I have not always needed to use it.

Posted by
70 posts

Thank you all for your replies... I'm still pushing for late September into October... but we'll see. We usually travel in the Fall and have always had great weather. A day or two of rain, which is not bad. As far as Corona in the Summer, I cannot stand it! Yes I live here, but I whine about it for three months! ugh!
Thanks again!

Posted by
1336 posts

Everyone above has said better than I could. Don't count on everywhere being air conditioned like it is in the US. Yes, even in the Louvre it gets very hot. As Pat said above, a hotel with air conditioning can be a nice thing to "come home to" in the evening.

Posted by
9565 posts

Fred makes a very good point. I'm always a bit amazed at myself when I'm uncomfortable, complaining and whining at the misery of 80 or 85 degrees here, when I stop to think that at home (Oklahoma), that would be a day of downright relief!!! But those temps can feel really oppressive here. Of course you might arrive during two cool, rainy weeks, you just can not ever know.