Please sign in to post.

France trip

Hi Everyone. My husband and I are travelling July 6th to Paris from Vancouver Canada. We will have until the 12th before we head to Avignon for a bike/barge trip. So we need suggestions on where to go. We have been to Paris 8 years ago, for 4 nights and loved it. Any thoughts on leaving Paris for 4 days and returning for 2 ( to meet up with friends ) then off to Avignon by train? Then after our 8 day cycle we are heading to Spain for 8 days...flying home from Barcelona. We will be renting a car. Thank you, Ingrid

Posted by
11507 posts

Hi Ingrid.
So , you will arrive on the morning of the 7th in Paris, and leave Paris on the 12ths, giving you 5.5 days in Paris. I wouldn't go anywhere, but I love Paris and theres still tons you haven't seen yet.. have you taken any daytrips out of city? Or, how about leaving Paris after 2 -3 days, breaking up journey to Aviginon by stopping in Loire Valley for 2-3 nights ( say base yourself in Tours, rent a car there ) and then continuing on to Avignon by train ( or rental car) I guess alot depends on what you think might interet you... ( ps in Spain are you driving along coast or inland?)

Posted by
4132 posts

I think what you suggest, leaving Paris and returning and then leaving again, is a waste of a very short amount of time. If you wanted to stop someplace enroute to Avignon from Paris I might suggest Burgundy. That would be tight, but piling on a return trip to Paris on top of that would really be too much at least for me. Chartres and Rouen make great day trips from Paris; if you like Renaissance Chateaux there is Chantilly and Fontainebleau. Of course I may just not get it about your trip; I certainly do not see what you will do with a car in Paris, on a barge, or in Barcelona. (It might be handy in Burgundy, though, though you could also rent bicycles in Beaune.)

Posted by
6527 posts

If you loved Paris 8 years ago, why not spend more time there this summer? You'll see plenty of countryside in the south later. Good day trips include Versailles, Chartres, Reims, Giverny, Fontainebleau, St-Denis, and others I'm sure you'll read on this thread, if you want to get out of the big city for awhile. If it was my trip (I wish!) I'd spend the whole 6 days in and around Paris, staying in one hotel or apartment. But of course it's your trip and you may want to move around more. Burgundy and the Loire are good suggestions (one or the other, not both, in the time you have). Enjoy!

Posted by
9420 posts

I agree with Pat, Adam and Dick. I think it's 4.5 days you'll have and I would stay in Paris, with possible day trips as mentioned. I can never get enough of Paris and you can never run out of things to do there. I can easily spend a whole day just in the Luxembourg Gardens... heaven!