Please sign in to post.

France Itinerary suggestions April 2012

I will be in France for 8 days (3.31-4.7)flying in and out of Paris. This is the shortest European excursion for me and would like assistance narrowing my focus. I do NOT want to cram in as much as possible. Because this is a short trip I want to be relaxed in 2 (no more than 3 if reasonable) locations. Tentatively, I plan to focus on Paris and add Normandy and/or Loire if not too hectic of an addition. With extra time I typically love the juxtaposition of the city to the countryside and/or mountains. Where can I maximize a varied experience without wasting too much time on a train? Any itinerary ideas/suggestions are welcome!

Posted by
635 posts

You could spend all 8 days in Paris and it wouldn't be too long. I wouldn't suggest you spend any less than 4 days if it's your first visit. This includes one day at Versailles so you could count that as another location if you wish. Day trips or overnighters abound around Paris on short train trips. If you only have 8 days, I suggest you get Rick's Paris book and look at the day trips he lists near the end. There are various chateaus and cathedrals within an easy train ride. That's probably the most efficient way to spend your time if you are committed to flying in and out of Paris. You didn't say if you were willing to rent a car but you could also consider a trip to Normandy. Without a car, you could take a train to Bayeux or Caen and do a Normandy beaches bus tour if you are interested. You could also do a one day bus tour to Le Mont Sainte Michel if that interests you. This is all much easier and faster with a car.

Posted by
1833 posts

If you will have a car, you might enjoy a loop to Chartres, Chenonceux or to Giverny, Les Andeleys, Rouen, Honfleur, maybe Bayeux. If you don't want to drive, you might find the book, An Hour from Paris by Annabel Simms, useful for planning day trips. She describes twenty of them, so you would have lots of choice, and explains how to get to each destination by public transportation.

Posted by
4132 posts

Sara, you have the right instincts. With 8 days I'd add no more than one region to Paris. And as others have said the case can be made for just Paris with day trips, and I add, especially that time of year. Fortunately, Paris sits at the hub of a magnificent rail network. You could even visit Provence for a day or three. However, to really get some countryside you will need wheels once you get off the train. Normandy is great - and close to Paris - but I would expect it to be particularly wet that time of year. I was in Burgundy during the second week in April and had many clear days, enough to get about on a bicycle. If Renaissance chateau are your thing, the place is the Loire. (But if not, consider Versailles or Fontainebleau from Paris, if anythings.) The good news is that time of year you can wait to see what the weather will be and make your decision on the spot. In every case I would take the train there and rent a car to get about. Final logistical tip for your return: There are direct TGVs to Charles DeGaulle from Avignon, Dijon, and St. Pierre-des-Corps (near Amboise). There are also flights from Marseilles.

Posted by
813 posts

Spend half your time in Paris, half in Alsace, wine route towns. Riquewihr, Eguisheim, etc. Definitely different than Paris but oozing charm and all things French (with some German history thrown in).