Please sign in to post.

France Itinerary

Next summer I am backpacking through England, France, and Italy - my first time in Europe! So far in France I am only going to Paris, so if you could suggest one more place in France to visit, where would it be?? Preferably a place with some cheap youth hostels!

Thanks for your help!

Posted by
3313 posts

How much time do you have, and what do you hope to see? France is quite diverse.

Posted by
267 posts

Only one? That's about 10 too few! ;)

I've only hostelled in Paris, so I can't give you any personal advice in that category. You can check out hostels.com or hostelz.com or Student Universe or hostelworld.com">hostelworld.

As for places to visit, it would depend on three things: 1) where you are coming from (in your itenerary); 2) where you are going to

For example, I could suggest Strasbourg, but if you are headed towards Italy, a city in southern France would make more sense.

3) Your general interests. Do you like big cities? Quiet countryside?Do you want to hike a mountain or would you prefer a beach?

I understand the whole "stay someplace cheap" thing. But let's not forget why you're going to Europe - you need to enjoy it as well!

With some more information, I could give you some suggestions.

Posted by
267 posts

Avignon is a lovely town. The Palais des Papes is a must-see. But I would advise you to base yourself in Aix-en-Provence instead. You can still visit Arles, Nîmes, and Avignon from there.

Buses run regularly from the Gare Routière (bus station) to other cities in the département, including Arles.

Avignon is actually outside the département (kind of like our counties), but you can still access it pretty easily.

1. Take shuttle from Gare Routière to the Aix TGV station (20 mins.).
  2. Take TGV from Aix to Avignon TGV station. (19 mins.)
  3. Take the shuttle from Avignon TGV station to downtown. (15-20mins.)

It seems complicated, but it's really not :D

Aix is a student town - you never actually run out of things to do and see.

All I want to tell you about Aix will not fit in this tiny space. May I direct you to a post of mine in a another forum?

Posted by
104 posts

Hey sorry I should have been more clear - my plan is to go from London to Paris, then from Paris to somewhere else in France, then to Italy - the Cinque Terre first. I have four days to see whatever you could recommend. I am going for the culture - I like museums, art, history, etc., and I don't really care about beaches or shopping. I am preferably looking for a city, but if there is a small town that is a must-see, then I would go for that too.

Thanks for your help!

Posted by
3313 posts

One thought might be basing yourself in Avignon. The Palais des Papes is fascinating and it's a beautiful town. You can make a day trip to the Pont du Gard and Uzes. You could also go to Arles or NImes. In short, there's a lot of history and art to be explored plus being in Provence.

Posted by
104 posts

Thanks very much for your suggestions! So far, Provence it is, but if anyone has any other favourite spots, let me know!