Please sign in to post.

France in mid November, 2013

My daughter and I are planning a trip to France - 9-10 days - in mid November. We plan to fly into Paris, stay there a few days, and work our way down through to Provence. We have to get our airfare pronto and wonder if anyone can advise an open jaw place to depart from France back to USA. I am wondering Lyon. I am also hoping to meet a travel buddy when my daughter leaves and stay a few more days in the area. I am ordering Rick's book on France but would like some advice before that comes in. I noticed some good airfares over the weekend - $845 and want to jump on it. Thanks for any help. Anne

Posted by
15 posts

I just saw that. This year in November!

Posted by
4044 posts

Marseille and Nice have international airports as does Lyon. The multi-city fare, into one city and out of another, won't be much higher than a simple round trip into and out of Paris and will save ground travel time and money. Instead of beginning the French tour in Paris, I prefer to start in the south, work back to Paris and leave from there. Simple reason: I hate early-morning departures which most itineraries from a southern airport will impose to make the connection to the trans-Atlantic leg. Some flights from Charles de Gaulle have much more civilized take-off times.
One other thing to keep in mind, in November the sunlight is going-going-gone by mid-afternoon.

Posted by
15 posts

I checked sunset times and seems we have til 5-5:30. I've been waiting on my daughter to figure out work issues. I've been on go since July! Does my 5ish daylight info seem valid?

Posted by
4132 posts

Another option, if Marseilles or Lyon does not work out, is an early train back to Charles deGaulle. Does not seem intuitive but there is a direct train from Avignon that will deliver you to the airport by 10:30 AM, plenty of time for an afternoon flight. Have a great trip!

Posted by
10188 posts

Southam's suggestion to start south and work north is a good way to lessen stress and avoid having to get up at 3 a.m. for a 6 or 7 a.m. flight or train back to Paris in time for your flight to the States.