Please sign in to post.

France in 2010 around the Tour de France?

Hello,

husband is interested in traveling to France around the time of the Tour de France. His idea is to go to some of the same towns as the tour, but several days to a week before or after, and then be in Paris for when the tour finishes. How busy can we expect the places where the tour will be/has been riding to be? What are the pros and cons of the timing? Will it cost a lot more tor travel within a week or so of when the tour is in town?

Posted by
12040 posts

The locales will likely be packed the day of the race stage and +/- one or two days around each stage, but they should be no more crowded (or deserted) than usual outside of this time frame. Transit costs should be the same as normal. I would expect lodging costs to inflate as a stage passes through a particular town, but would probably be about the same within a week. Paris is always crowded in July, but the only area that really becomes congested because of the race is le Champs Elysee.

Posted by
196 posts

I was at the tour in 2006 on the Champs Elysee in Paris. When in Paris I would get get off at the metro stop Charles de Gaul Etoile. This is the opposite of the finish line at the Arch de Triumph. This a great spot because of the number of circuits the racers do and they slow down for the turn so it's great for photos. Get there before noon if you want to be close enough to see anything. Get there by 10-10:30 if you want to be on the rail. There is a McDonalds right here so that you can use a restroom. If you can bring something to sit on.... hard to do I know. As far as hotels go there is no difference in Paris. I would imagine if you are planning on seeing the race in other places you should book now. The tour director just released the route two weeks ago. It might be a good idea to not stay in starting and finishing towns but go to neighboring villages to keep inflated prices down. Say hi to Lance for me!

Posted by
552 posts

Keep in mind the French lifestyle...

Before (gearing up for) and after (resting up from) big events that make the area a momentary boomtown, many shops and restaurants will be closed.

Might as well brave the crowds and go when everything is open and in full swing.

Posted by
375 posts

It is a lot of fun to watch the Tour in the smaller towns through which it passes. My husband and I like to drive over and stake out a spot with our lawn chairs with the town residents. It takes a while for the advance cars, etc. to go by, then the cyclists zip by in a few seconds. You're right up close and personal and could practically reach out and kiss 'em on the nose if they weren't going so fast. Then we hop in the car and leap-frog ahead to the next town and see them again. This may not be practical for you, but I still think it's worth considering to see it from the smaller town perspective if possible, as well as the huge finish.