Please sign in to post.

France and Germany in October 2011

We will be traveling to France/Germany for the first time in mid-October, for 13 actual days (not counting the arrival and departure dates). We are planning the following itinerary. Are we being too optimistic to see all of these areas? Any suggestions? Paris for 4 nights Drive to Beaune for 2 nights (are any of the wineries open the 3rd week of October?) Drive to Blois for 2 nights Drive back to Paris to catch the night train from Paris to Munich Munich for 1 night Train to Fussen area for 2 nights Train from Fussen to Frankfurt, then overnight in Frankfurt Leave the next AM for USA Should we drive (we are thinking we will see many sights and beautiful countryside, and I can't figure out how to get from Beaune to Blois by train without going back through Paris).
How many Eurail pass days would be reasonable if we drive? Thank you!

Posted by
813 posts

Instead of Blois, it's the same distance from Beaune to Strasbourg (you can drive up the Alsace wine route) or to Zurich. Can you return the car either of those places? It will put you a bit closer to Munich rather than backtracking. I would drive to Beaune then Strasbourg or Zurich, the train connections would make the trip longer.

Posted by
9150 posts

Doris, do be aware that the Frankfurt Book Fair will be taking place from 11-16 Oct. and hotel rooms will not only be scarce, but the ones that are available will be offered at a premium price. Hopefully, you will be here later in the month. Otherwise, you might have to look for a hotel room a bit outside of Frankfurt.

Posted by
17 posts

Thank you both for your information. Luckily, we will be in Frankfurt later in the month (10/25-26).
Appreciate the sugestions!

Posted by
4132 posts

If Blois is in the mix, you should drive. You should probably drive anyway, if you want to see any of Burgundy besides Beaune. The idea of seeing Alsace is not a bad one, you should weigh that against the Loire. I doubt you want any Eurail days on this itinerary, but you should cost out all the alternatives and then decide.