Please sign in to post.

Flamenco in Madrid?

Has anyone experienced what they felt was an authentic Flamenco show in Madrid? My wife and I were in Madrid two years ago and visited the Cafe de Chinitas. We found it a little expensive, but that night we got a special treat when the dancers were having a show for other dancers that they knew (what are the chances of that happening again)? This time we are taking our 22 year old son and we would like him to experience some of his Spanish heritage and culture as much as he can. The other experience I would like for him is a Zarzuela (Spanish Opera), any recommendations on where to see a show?

Posted by
10344 posts

While Sevilla is the capital of flamenco, in Madrid there are:Taberna Casa PatasLas CarbonerasFor more info on these two, see the Nightlife section, Madrid chapter of Rick's book Spain.

Posted by
4555 posts

Casa Patas is my favourite spot for flamenco in Madrid...a college for flamenco, it attracts some of the top artists of the genre. It can be tough to get tickets, so you may want to consider booking ahead of time on their website. The food is no great shakes, so have dinner somewhere else. And they do pack them in. A reminder to those who may not be aware...flamenco is music, singing, and dancing, sometimes individually, sometimes together. So if you go to a flamenco performance you may not get flamenco dancing.

Posted by
2193 posts

This post reminded me to inquire about venues in Madrid where I can experience classical Spanish guitar music. I've listened to some great compositions on public radio, but I'm really not very familiar with the Spanish composers. Any help would be appreciated. I'm also planning on seeing a Flamenco performance while there, so this information is helpful, too. Thanks.

Posted by
4555 posts

For Zarzuela, there is a magnificent Teatro de la Zarzuela in Madrid which always seems to be busy with performances of various kinds. Their zarzuela season seems to be during May. But check their website for details.

Posted by
4555 posts

Michael....that's a little tougher. There must be 20 excellent sites for flamenco around Madrid, but classical guitar (a la Andres Segovia) is a little more generic. You may want to try the city of Madrid's excellent tourism site to see if anything is listed in the concert listings for your time in Madrid. There is also an excellent monthly magazine on that site that you can download in pdf format and review for classical guitar concerts that may be on. Another good place to check each Thursday, I believe, is the on-line English edition of the Spanish newspaper, El Pais, also in pdf format. For those wanting to know what's going on in Spain, this is an excellent way of keeping up with the news.

Posted by
265 posts

Thanks for all the great info! I'm trying to create a different experience for my son , than just all the same tourist sites. It's also a great idea for a classical guitar concert ( ie: guitarist Pepe Romero and his brothers, you can check him out on Youtube ). After we leave Madrid, we will head to the rural sections of Asturias and Galicia. We have to visit family.

Posted by
9 posts

Speaking of Spanish culture ... it's be something if you could score seeing a tuna. These singing groups of university students dressed in 16th century costume wander the streets Saturday nights (about 10:30-1:00am)serenading young ladies. All universities have several tunas, usually very good. So if you hear guitars & singing or see men in black capes with ribbons -- pay attention. Maybe they'll do a song for you. They also do performances & tuna competitions. Tunas are not tourist fare so you'd be lucky to catch one. Maybe your relatives could find some in their city (if there's a university).

Posted by
265 posts

Were going to Oviedo and it's suppose to have one of the best universities in Spain. So maybe we can catch one of those singing troubadour groups.