Please sign in to post.

flamenco in madrid

hi-
i've reviewed rick's picks for flamenco in madrid, am wondering what suggestions anyone here might have for "the best"! Or has anyone found any others that were really good? gracias

Posted by
1178 posts

Tony - From a flamenco-dancer-as-a-hobby enthusanist (spelling?) ( a physician) in Madrid, I was advised some years ago that the best, and truest, flamenco was to be found in Sevilla, not in any other city of Spain. Sevilla is where it was born and where it still thrives. She suggested not to "waste my time" on flamenco in Madrid. I know there are some flamenco spots in Madrid, near the Plaza Santa Anna as I recall from visits to the city, but because of her comments, I have not been to them. In Sevilla I found a great one through David of Really Discover Sevilla Tours. Arrived early, sat on the front row for a one hour non stop professional show. Sorry I can not comment on those in Madrid.

Posted by
41 posts

Does anyone have a recommendation for a flamenco show in Madrid? I am not going anywhere else in Spain so going to Sevilla is not an option. Thanks.

Posted by
80 posts

I'm a big fan of flamenco in Spain, particularly in Madrid, and have a few recommendations. First, keep in mind that ALL (without exception) venues where flamenco is seen in Madrid (and most other Spanish cities) caters to tourists. That's just the way it is. And nearly, without exception, ALL flamenco dancers working these venues are experts in their class - that's why they charge so much for admission, in order to get the best talent. My all-time favorite place to see a flamenco show is the Corral de la Morería (near-ish to the Almudena Cathedral) and my second favorite is the Café Chinitas (between the Teatro Real & Plaza de España). Both have raised stages with seating on 2 sides. Both have kitchens and meals are offered. One drink is included in your admission. You'll be thoroughly entertained at both. Saludos, MadridMan @ you-know-where!