Please sign in to post.

family of 5 Rue Cler or close to here, places to stay May 2009

I read the advice to the family of 7 and after looking at several web sites listed in Rick Steve's Paris guidebook, I'm taken back at the price our 3 nights might cost. Can you rent an apartment for 3 nights? We did a day trip on the Eurostar from London last May and that really wasn't enough to understand the neighborhoods of the city with our hop on, hop off bus tour. Has anyone had experience traveling as a family that is bigger than 4 staying in this neighborhood? Any good value hotels that could accommodate 5 in this neighborhood that are not in Rick Steve's Paris guidebook? Thanks.

Posted by
11507 posts

Seriously, do not limit yourself to the 7th( the arrondissmont that the Rue Cler is in) . It is not the most central area for a first time visitor who may enjoy walking to serveral sites.
Look at 5th and 6th, this will make your search for accomadation easier. Both neighborhoods are very nice.
And, yes, there are a few agencies that rent apartments for 3 days, some of them do add an extra charge for short stays though.

Posted by
239 posts

Hi Jackie--We used vacationinparis.com. They do have many apartments that are available for only three nights. We stayed for three nights in the 7th and walked everywhere, although our apartment was on the edge of the arrondissement, not by rue Cler but near the National Assembly, so just a block from the Seine and walkable to Place de la Concorde, the Louvre, Musee D'Orsay....We loved vacationinparis. All transactions were in dollars and in English, as the company is based in New Jersey. Lots of pictures of the apartment online and the apartment was just as pictured. Many people on this board have used this company and recommend it.

Posted by
7209 posts

Also look at the Hotel Royal Phare. They are located in the 7th around the corner from Rue Cler and right on the Ecole Militaire Metro Stop. The Royal Phare is not fancy, but it is cheap, clean, friendly and located 15 steps from the metro. 2 ATMs are just outside the front door (2 steps) and supermarket also next door. The rooms have mini-fridges for you to store whatever you like.

To get to rue Cler from Royal Phare turn left out of the front door, walk 1 block, you are now on rue Cler. It's a perfect location. It's also in Rick's book.

Posted by
427 posts

mister bed city in bagnolet next door to shopping and metro. its a hotel with decent rates.

Posted by
157 posts

My last time in Paris (2006) I stayed at Hotel La Bourdonnais. We really liked the location - few minutes to the Eiffel Tower and a short walk to the metro as well. There are plenty of good restaurants right around the corner as well and it is near Rue Cler. Overall we would stay here again. It has a 4 (out of 5) rating on tripadvisor.com You can check out the review online from others as well.

Posted by
2030 posts

I agree with the first poster, Pat, above. The Rue Cler (7th) may not be the best area for a first time family only staying 3 nights. Rick likes it, and it is where I stayed the first 2 times I was in Paris -- it is nice, but since then I've found other areas I like better. Though the 7th is close to the Eiffel Tower which is a must to see, you can easily get there from just about anywhere. I'd stay more in the middle of the action. You can rent apts. for a few days, check www.vrbo.com. Though places in prime areas can be pricey, they should work out to less than a hotel.
Also, for awesome hotel information go to www.tripadvisor.com. Good Luck!