Please sign in to post.

European River Cruises

Considering a Christmas Winter cruise on the Danube river. Any recommendations for cruise line and 'must see' cities?

Posted by
249 posts

We've only been on the Rhine and Mosel Rivers, so I can't comment on the Danube, but I will say that we absolutely loved Grand Circle Travel. We've used them twice, and will go again with them on our Danube cruise someday. Mike

Posted by
32327 posts

Debbie, You might have a look at This Cruise Line. I've also thought about a river cruise, as this firm seems to be one of the best rated. Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
635 posts

My wife and I have been happy with several Avalon cruises. By going on this type of cruise, they will primarily take you to the Christmas markets. Look at where they are stopping and see what is on the schedule besides shopping. I, personally, have not been very impressed with the Christmas markets and neither has my wife. I would think you will see Budapest, Vienna, Nuremburg and Prague (possible). My favorites are (1) Prague, (2) Budapest and (3) Vienna but everyone is different.

Posted by
4637 posts

Prague is of course not on Danube River. But some packages have a trip there by bus from the river.

Posted by
166 posts

Viking River Cruises are wonderful. We have been on several including the Danube Christmas Market cruise from Vienna to Nurnberg. Our favorite stop was Melk for the abbey in that town and Nurnberg for the granddaddy of Christmas markets. There are several river cruise lines and all are similar. Uniworld has been used by several of our friends and they enjoyed it.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you all for your input. It seems Uniworld and Viking are comparable and both very good.