Please sign in to post.

Europe March 2011

I am currently planning a trip to Europe for my wife and I. Our original plan had us looking at flying into Zurich on March 13th then staying in Basel for approx. 3 days. After Basel we plan on going to the Austrian lake district for approx 3 days and stay in Salzburg for a nite or two. We are now considering flying into Zurich and driving Ljubjana Slovenia and touring Slovenia until March 20th then driving back to Zurich to fly home. We do not ski we plan on seeing sites and relaxing. Any recomendations on which would be better trip? The only time my wife and if have available is March 13th through March 21st. Thank you.

Posted by
1446 posts

Do you have to fly into Zurich? Can you not connect onward to Graz? That would give you a lot less driving time and would put you very well placed to do a circuit in Slovenia and catch the wine & castles route that extends south from Graz into Slovenia. Don't miss Ptuj, the Jeruzalem wine area, and of course Lake Bled.
We loved this area and there was a lot to see and do.

Posted by
208 posts

Can't offer any info on Slovenia but think you both would love Salzburg and any part of Austria. Salzburg is my choice of a city to live in if I had the opportunity to live in Europe. Two days in Salzburg is enough to see the city. You are also close to my favorite little village in europe. Hallstatt is a must see if you are close. So my choice would be Switzerland, can't go wrong anywhere there and Austria.

Posted by
331 posts

I agree with Tony and would advise Austria as a fantastic destination. I would give myself at least one full day (ie at least two nights) in Salzburg. There is so much more to see and do and its historical heritage both ancient and modern has so much more to offer than Basel. (Innsbruck is also well worth a visit if you have time.) I would be tempted to spend less time in Basel and more in Salzburg. Hope you have fun whatever you choose, Shoni