Please sign in to post.

Eiffel Tower light show

I have heard that the Eiffel tower lights up, twinkles at night. Is this something that happens every night or just special occasions? Thanks

Posted by
9110 posts

I've been there a lot and never seen it not happen, except maybe a long, long time ago (prior to the invention of electricty).

Posted by
1507 posts

We were there in March,2010 and around 8 or 9pm it light up and lights flashed on and off, twinkling for several minutes. This happened every half hour or hour; can't remember, and I believe it happened every day, at least the two or three days we were at the Eiffel Tower. It was a beautiful sight!

Posted by
2030 posts

the lightshow goes on each night after dark. I believe it starts around 10 minutes before each hour, final onw is 12 or 1 am. Not sure of exact times, you can probably find out this info on the ET website. But don't miss it! In the meantime, you can check out this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYH2IDQcjTU

Posted by
91 posts

Thanks for the replies everyone. This is something I think we would enjoy and am looking forward to it. Ed, thanks for all your informative and sometimes witty replies. I think you have replies to all my posts and I have found your replies most helpful in my planning.

Posted by
689 posts

It happens ON the hour after dark (so, this changes throughout the year), goes for about 5 minutes, and is beautiful! Go out of your way, if you have to, to see it. I've splurged on balcony/view hotel rooms so I could see it from my room.

Posted by
1819 posts

We did this two nights in a row last June. The Champs de Mars fills up with groups (tourists and locals) sitting on blankets, enjoying picnics and drinks. The atmosphere is very friendly, people talk to neighboring groups---sort of like 4th of July fireworks events. Sparkles were on the hour and lasted five minutes. Lovely--don't miss it.

Posted by
10225 posts

Yes, the lights sparkle at the top of the hour for about 5 or 10 minutes beginning around dusk.

Posted by
425 posts

They recently cut the display from 10 minutes to 5 minutes to save money. It's on the hour from dusk to midnight. You'll find plenty of film of it on YOUTUBE. None of it does justice to the display. What you should TRY and do is see it from .... 1. Trocadero - near the metro station 2. Champs de Mars - up close to the tower 3. Tour Mantparnasse - from the top of the tower
It is "do-able" in one evening. Roger

Posted by
931 posts

We saw it from the Champs de Mars park also. What a great venue!

Posted by
1068 posts

I vote for watching the light show from Trocadero... just my personal opinion, but I love the splashing fountains and the view over the river. It's still very romantic, and we've been married over 20 years! :o)

Posted by
4407 posts

Ditto Christy and Andrea. It doesn't matter how many times you've seen the Eiffel Tower, with or without lights - the twinking lights are really cool ;-) You have my permission to squeal, scream, clap, or whatever! (and I'm with Roger - it's completely different in person!) Definitely make an effort to be there on the hour.

Posted by
31 posts

Just was wondering if each of the on-the-hour light shows is different, or if the same show repeats. Anyone know?

Posted by
131 posts

We were coming down the elevator in the Eiffel, DURING the light show. That was pretty impressive.

Posted by
4407 posts

"We were coming down the elevator in the Eiffel, DURING the light show. That was pretty impressive." Cool, Max! I guess that WOULD be impressive!!! Ava, as far as I know, it's the same light show, each hour...

Posted by
10225 posts

The light show is always the same in my experience. One cool thing we witnessed was on New Years Eve 08/09. The Eiffel Tower had blue lights (for all of 08?) because Sarkozy was President of the EU that year. Anyway, on NYE we positioned ourselves on the Pont Neuf bridge to view the fireworks ...that never happened...but at midnight the lights changed to the usual white lights to mark the end of the year. Of course since it was the top of the hour they sparkled too. On the tower they had the circle of EU stars, but on 1/1/09 those stars started coming off. They didn't waste any time!

Posted by
1113 posts

I enjoyed the light show from my 7th floor room at the Hotel Ibis in the 15th arrondisement! I got this tip from a tripadvisor hotel review. Every hour on the hour, the Eiffel Tower would light up, what a beautiful sight it was!