Please sign in to post.

Eating in Paris

I am going through restaurant reviews and picking a few places for my trip to Paris in two weeks. I was wondering, when ordering the menu (the fixed price, three course meal) is that generally enough for two people (my mom and I) to share? If so, is it rude to share?

Posted by
9110 posts
  1. Its generally just not done.

2. The portions are generally much smaller than you'd expect, so it probably wouldn't be enough grub for two people.

What we tend to do is skip the three course deal, but order a couple of things each. The price differential between three and four items is not that great. Additionally, with the fixed-price, three-item special there's usually something you don't particularly want (and you can't substitute) anyway. Even if we order only two of the three deal, we still come out ahead.

Posted by
689 posts

I agree with Ed. Can you imagine doing this in the US even? Sharing a prix fixe menu at a good restaurant? Remember, you never have to do a 3 course menu; if you want to eat lightly you can order salads or small meals at a cafe, or only a plat at a restaurant. Usually the places that have the 3 course menus also have a 2 course option as well--appetizer+main, or main+dessert.

I find portion sizes to be the same as in decent restaurants in the US; if you are used to chain restaurants with large portion sizes, you might find them small. I've never left a French restaurant less than full, esp. when I do the prix-fixe.

Posted by
5535 posts

It would be considered rude; you would be ordering just one meal for two people. The fixed price menu is generally offered at a lower price than the same items separately.

In a restaurant, you should each expect to include a main course with your meal. If one of you orders the fixed price 3 course meal and the other orders just a main, that would be ok. Or alternatively, do as others suggested and just order individual items from the menu.