Please sign in to post.

Dusseldorf

We (my husband and I; we think we are in our 30s but actually in our mid 50s) will be flying into Dusseldorf from the states about 4 p.m. on a Thursday in July. Our ultimate destination is the Rhine region around Bacharach. We thought that we would find a hotel in Dusseldorf and spend the night there after the long flight and head south in the morning. Is this a good idea? If so, where would you stay in Dusseldorf and what would be a fun way to spend the first evening of our trip, if we are up to it? Usually we are good the first night until 8/9 p.m. before the jet lag does us in. Also, we have not locked into where we will be basing ourselves for exploring the Rhine/Mosel region for 3 nights. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Posted by
2193 posts

One idea is to head directly to Köln...it's only 30 minutes away. Spend the night there, see the cathedral that evening or the next morning, and check out Bonn (20 minutes) on your way to St. Goar or Bacharach or wherever. In St. Goar, I can recommend Hotel Hauser...big rooms, cheap rates, great restaurant, and balconies overlooking the river. Check out tripadvisor...4 stars.

Posted by
19092 posts

It's only 2h40m (€31,10 pP) by regional trains to Bacharach. The station's right at the airport I don't recommend people jump in a car and drive as soon as they arrive, with jet lag after an overnight flight from the States, but you should be able to handle a train ride of less than 3 hours. If the flight arrives in the morning, you should also be able to handle a few hours to explore the cathedral in Köln (it's right outside the Bahnhof exit). As for places to stay, the only place I would stay in Bacharach is at Im Malerwinkel. You'll find the best selektion of suitable places in St. Goar on their website.