Please sign in to post.

Driving in France

I want to have some idea what to espect in the way of signs and other concerns. Where is a good website for that? And any thoughts about driving in France are welcome.

Posted by
8293 posts

We have driven many thousands of kilometers in France over the years and it was always a joy. The roads are excellent, the signage is good and the scenery is usually wonderful. We avoid the toll highways (autoroutes) when we can, finding the other highways and roads more interesting, and we love passing through all the little villages & towns. A good road atlas (Michelin e.g.)is a must, an absolute must, and it will also illustrate all the highway signs so that you are an educated driver when you step into the car.

Posted by
146 posts

I will be driving in Aquitaine: Bordeaux and the Sarlat vicinity.

Posted by
8293 posts

If you are driving down the Atlantic coast, the Dune de Pilat is worth stopping to see.

Posted by
5678 posts

It seems to me that the trick to driving in France and the UK (where I've had more experience) is to know the towns and villages on your route. Typically the signs don't have route numbers, but rather point you to the next major town. I had to drive from Chartre to a town on the north side of Paris. I went to the TI for helping in mapping my route. She did a map quest and then turned her nose up at the results. She routed me around the south of Paris and up the east side. I don't think she gave me a single route number, but just gave me town names and told me to have faith. It worked! there was only one time where I almost doubted, but I hung in there and it was a good thing I did! Also, I think it really helps to view getting lost as part of the experience. You'll just see something interesting that you wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Pam

Posted by
3313 posts

Rick's books have a good introduction but you'll have to gain most of your expertise the hard way. Directional signs have a system. You want to make sure you know the signs for "one way" "cede the right of way" and the speed limits. Also the signs warning you that you're about to hit a photo radar (it's a great public service - they give you a warning before you hit one). Don't worry, it's all pretty intuitive - except for the right of way issue.

Posted by
8700 posts

When you enter a town, be prepared to have all references to the highway/major road you've been on disappear even though the map says that the highway/road continues on the other side of town. You'll think that you missed a turn, but you probably haven't. Follow the local road numbers for what seems to be a main route and the number you want will magically reappear after you've gotten to the far side of town.

Posted by
8293 posts

No doubt you are feeling by now that you are getting too much information, but just a word about what Tim says above. Yes, the route signs do seem to disappear when you enter some towns and you begin to feel abandoned, but all is not lost. There will be a sign (eventually) that says TOUTES DIRECTIONS to guide you through and out of the town.

Posted by
283 posts

We have driven all over France. Here are my suggestions:

Get a good map and use it. I buy the Michelins and we have only gotten sort of lost ONCE in 6 driving vacations.

It is important to know the names of the towns through which you will pass. For example, the D7 can become the N14 without notice. If you know you are going to Town A, then Town B, then Town C, you will be more successful.

Centre ville signs are good, but toutes directions means all directions and you may be heading anywhere. Again, know the name of the next town, follow those signs and you will be much better off. I really hate that advice in Rick's books!

We have loved the freedom and ease of driving in France. Have fun!

Posted by
67 posts

My wife and I just returned from a 20 day driving trip to France, Switzerland and Brugge. We had a GPS on our rented car and used the Michelin maps.

In summary, we find the roads in all of the countries to be well maintained and the other drivers courteous and safe.

The Michelin maps were 2008 edition, but the route numbers were at least three years old, France is going through a major change in re-numbering most of the major roads and the maps did not reflect these changes. I found the the AAA maps brought from home were more current allthough not as detailed.

The GPS worked well in France, but not as well in Belgium and Switzerland. This was no surprise as our car was rented in France and we were told of this limitation.

I agree with those that relied on the Toute Direction found in almost all round abouts in Europe. They are very useful when in smaller towns.

Our biggest problem was locating our hotels in large towns. The maps were not useful and the GPS did not do a good job in France and not at all in Belgium and Switzerland. This is probably my fault as determining what the street address was not simple as Europe does not follow our normal methods we are used to. For example, when we put in Paris and the De Gaulle aiport, it did not find the airport. The airport is not located in the city of Paris, but in a suburb.

One word of caution is the use of tolls. We tried to use the more scenic country roads and therefore avoided the toll gates. On occasion when we in a hurry we did use the tolls gate and sometimes used the wrong gate. Our credit cards were not acceptabe and we could not back out of the lane. On more than one occasion, we caused problems for those behind us as we could not back up and find another lane. Word of caution, try to find a lane that is manned by a real person.

All in all, renting a car worked our just fine. We prefer it to using the excellent train system. Enjoy the trip. We did!

Posted by
146 posts

"All in all, renting a car worked our just fine. We prefer it to using the excellent train system. Enjoy the trip. We did!"

+++

We are doing both.

Thanks for this wonderful info which I am printimg up for my reading enjoyment on the plane and train before we drive in Aquitaine.