Please sign in to post.

Driving in France

We are thinking of renting a car while in France, to travel in Dordogne area. I would like to know if we need to get an international driving permit, and if so, can someone let me know how many days does it take to get one here in US?

Posted by
805 posts

No, you will not need an IDP for France. Your normal driver's license is okay.

Be aware, if you've never driven in France, of people's tendency to tailgate you even when there are no other cars around. It's freaky but you'll get used to it.

Posted by
8293 posts

French drivers tend to drive very fast so if you are being tailgated it's because they think you are too slow. My husband is a speedy kind of driver and we are never tailgated.

Posted by
38 posts

I purchased one to drive through Spain, but we didn't have one in France. If you feel like you should have one- to avoid potential hassle, you can walk into your local AAA and will walk out with one 10 minutes later.
The cost was around $20.
Drivers are a little crazy in France, but the Dordogne is beautiful- Sarlat was my favorite!
Have fun!

Posted by
3313 posts

You don't need an IDP, but it's a good idea to have one. The gendarme who stopped me for speeding last year had a hard time figuring out my Oregon drivers license (which is the expiration date and which is the date of birth?). In such a situation, you want to have a happy gendarme.

Also, I think driving is much easier than described above. Yes, there is some tailgating because that's how people signal to pass. But I think speeding has decreased dramatically because of photo radar and increased law enforcement (see my first paragraph). Expect more roundabouts at intersections than we have here and learn the traffic signage and you'll be fine.

Posted by
1455 posts

I agree with Doug. You don't need one but like insurance, its good to have a Driving Permit. Auto Club sells them for $15 and be sure to bring 2, 2x2 photos. At AAA you can get one instantly.

If Kent PM'd you, I am sure he gave you excellent advise.

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you so much for all the replies. We'll get IDP before we leave..

To Lisa, and anyone who has travelled to Dordogne area: Can you let me know which is the better way to travel to/in Dordogne area from Paris? Should we take TGV to the area, and rent a car there, or should we just rent and drive from Paris? Which one do you think is cheaper, and faster?

Posted by
146 posts

We spent 1 night in Bordeaux at AMary's Royal St. Jean Hotel and were pleased. We then drove to the Dordogne and loved it. Canoeing was a lot of fun.

It was easy to take the TGV to Bordeaux and rent a car at the St. Jean train station. It was not too tricky to get out of Bordeaux and go to St Emilion on the way to the Dordogne. We stayed at Rick's recommended Residence Versailles Chambres Hotes in Beynac and loved it there. The Fleurys are excellent hosts.

Somebody suggested a restaurant in the center of Bordeaux: le Bistro du 20 > http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/France/Aquitaine/Bordeaux-134172/Restaurants-Bordeaux-BR-1.html#3

We went there and enjoyed a great dinner and they specialize in wine selections.

All of the recommendations of Rick for sleeping and eating were great both in Paris and in the Dordogne.

Driving was pretty easy. Just know the towns you are headed for and all will wotk out well.

Make sure you know where to return your car in Bordeaux and how to get there. Also, pumps at a service station near the St. Jean train station would not take our credit cards (plural!!). We had to use cash and move to a pump where cash was accepted.

Don't let the tailgaters bother you. Drive at your pace. They know the roads. You don't.

Posted by
506 posts

One item to consider in getting an IDP is that you become familiar with road signs. If anything do a little research to become familiar with the sign use here in France. Remember, road signs will be in French, thus being familiar will be helpful to your overall experience so you can laugh at the crazy Frenchman driving behind you in his little Clio as if it was a Ferrari.

Posted by
448 posts

Guess we all often tend to think that the drivers of the "other" countries are crazy...but , regarding road signs..STOP means STOP...and as i mentioned in another driving question..do your best in the round-abouts, rond-points, traffic circles..i'm still alive, but never quite figured out the priority..seems to be whoever gets there first wins

Posted by
8293 posts

For the highway round-abouts, there is always a sign (in French, of course) that you, the one entering the round-about, do NOT have priority. In the cities, as Regina says, it's chien eat chien.

Posted by
46 posts

Driving in France is easy if you remember the rules of the road. The right lane is for travel and the left lane is for passing. Linger too long in the left lane and that is when you will encounter tailgaters.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks so much for all the replies.

One question: Can someone suggest how long it will take to drive from Paris to Dordogne area? Is the route scenic? Is it worth to drive all the way from Paris, or take train to the area, and rent a car there?

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks, Paul.

We are thinking of just 2 days in Dordogne area, as thats what our itinerary could afford. So I don't know if I would have time to check out Loire Valley and Normandy on my way, although I would love to.

So in that case, considering we have only 2 days to spend in this area, is the drive Scenic enough for us to drive all the way from Paris to Dordogne area? Also, do you know how much time does it take in train from Paris to this area?

Posted by
3313 posts

Are you traveling on to somewhere from the Dordogne? That's a long ways from Paris for only two days. It would probably be faster to take the train to Tolouse and rent a car there, but you're not leaving yourself much time to see anything.