Please sign in to post.

Driving in France

We are planning our first driving trip to France, similar to the RS 21 day itinerary. We have driven in Great Britain, and had no problem except found that driving on the smallest country roads ("B" roads, I think) were too stressful to be worth it. Too narrow for us! Can anyone tell me how driving in France compares to Great Britain? Are the D routes in France actually wide enough for two cars, or is it similar to England where one car needs to pull over to let the other pass? Thanks!

Posted by
3313 posts

Well, for one thing, you can drive on the right in France so that's a big difference. It's very easy to drive there. The D routes are comparable to county roads in the states and generally have two marked lanes. The only problem is if you get stuck behind slow moving farm vehicles.

Posted by
11507 posts

Hi, we have taken the National roads in France and driven in the country in England.
We found the small country roads in England too narrow and often very low, with hedges blocking any views of country and enough bends so that didn't always see oncoming traffic until nerve rackingly close, and yes , often having to pull over. Scary.
The National roads we took in France seemed much much better. Two lanes that I can recall in all places, and we liked being able to see countryside as we drove. .I would also suggest that taking the toll highways weren't that bad either, yes, they drive fast, but the roads were pretty good, wide,and as long as one sticks in the "slow" lane( right side) cars just whizzed past us. TYhe highways rest stops were nicer then anything we have at home, decent restaurants etc.

Posted by
320 posts

Barbara -

I agree that the toll Autoroutes are great if all you want to do is get from point A to point B. But the view from the Autoroutes is virtually the same as any American Interstate freeway. Part of why I am there is to see the countryside.

I've driven loads of miles on the N and D roads and loved every minute of it. Most all of them are plenty wide (just not a lot of shoulder room - if any!). Take your time - enjoy the journey. Have fun.

Posted by
8700 posts

I'm with Jon. Unless you truly need to hurry, avoid the Autoroutes. Drive the N and D roads and enjoy the countryside.

Posted by
53 posts

Barbara,

What are your destinations? The group may be able to give additional info if we know where you are going.

Craig

Posted by
9429 posts

I completely agree with Jon and Tim. I can't relate at all to what Kent wrote. We've driven all over France on the 2 lane country roads and never, ever had a problem. They are wonderful. Not only do you see the beautiful scenery but you go through charming little towns. You can stop in any town and have a meal or buy picnic food and pastries. That is much nicer than eating at a rest stop on an autoroute (freeway). Signage was never a problem for us. You just have to know the route (that's easy w/a map) and follow signs to the next town along your route. Roundabouts are great because if you're not quite sure which way to go you just go around again until you figure it out. One of the highlights of all our trips to France was driving the country roads.

Posted by
39 posts

we just got back last week from a driving tour of France. We found the driving much easier than in Scotland and would certainly drive in France again, not Paris though. We used viamichelin.com for our driving directions...they were perfect.

Posted by
149 posts

Hi Barbara, Driving anywhere in France (including Paris) is as easy as driving in the US. French drivers are courteous and competent. The rural areas are similar to rural areas in your state. And Paris is no more difficult than San Francisco or Seattle or Chicago. The roads are mostly well marked, and if you get lost, you are on vacation, so it's no big deal. Have fun on the roads of France, and stay out of the "fast" lane on the toll roads except to pass. Charlie, Lodi, CA

Posted by
126 posts

Back roads in Provence were no problem, just 2 lanes and no shoulders. Bicyclers were the biggest concern, there were lots of on the roads. I was just glad I was in a car and not on a bicylce.