Please sign in to post.

driving in Europe

Hi All, I was wondering how driving in northern Spain compares to driving in France? I am referring to outside of major cities. Our Spanish is not as good as our French. Driving in France was quite manageable because of the very well marked roads. I am thinking of combining a trip to northern Spain and southern France, knowing we will have to rent different cars for each country. Also, how is the driving in Benelux and Germany; we might go north instead. Thanks,
Nancy

Posted by
9110 posts

Since you mention language and signage, I'm assuming that's the focus of the question. They're all equal to France. The words on the signs are spelled the same way as are on a map, the exceptions being so small that it makes no difference. Unless I anticipate a lot of solo night driving, I don't even take the gps. Freeway density in northern Spain is generally less dense than in central France; Germany and the adjacent Benelux countries is more dense (Look at a map and note the relative proximity of larger cities and the statment will make sense - - or just look at a population density map if you can find one.)

Posted by
179 posts

Thanks, Ed. Yes, I was questioning the signage, which in France was much better than here. For our last trip, we bought a GPS, which proved useless in Dordogne. We ditched it after it sent us down a few cow paths in the wrong direction. We never got lost again once we started using a map and road signs. However, that was one scary road trip, between the ditches and the cliffs and the S curves! We don't speak ( or read) a word of German, ( except what we picked up in movies), or Dutch, so will maps and signage be enough to find our way in those countries?. (In fact, I am so ignorant I had to look up Benelux to find out what exotic country that was! ) Also, I heard they drive REALLY fast in Germany, much more so than in France. Is that true? Thanks,
Nancy

Posted by
9110 posts

I started driving all over Europe in the late sixties. I bought my first automotive gps sometime after the turn of the century. I spend about three months somewhere in Europe and the Uk each year. The only time I've not had a rental car was for two weeks last winter. I've gone back to mostly maps since a gps is a pain in the tail. Maps work. Unless I keep missing something, the high-speed in Germany business is just one more myth; there's just oo much congestion. I've bben passed at higher/equal sppeds just as often in Italy and southern France.

Posted by
1825 posts

My experience driving with a GPS in the Dordogne was quite different than Nancy's. I was there two years ago with a one year old garmin unit and a Europe map chip I bought used on ebay. Drove down many one lane "cow roads" and it was only off two or three times and I could tell it was off after about a mile. While they are not perfect they did make the driving so stress free that I wouldn't do it without one. I do use the GPS quite a bit at home so I am very familiar with it's nuances. At round-a-bouts my wife would always misjudge the proper road it was telling us but based on the angle I always knew which to take (for example). Since I am obviously not as experienced driving with a map in Europe as Ed (who is?) I found bringing the GPS to be one of the best choices I made for the trip. If you don't practice with it at home you will have trouble learning it on a trip. If you are familiar with a current model you can then focus on all the other new driving experiences you will encounter.

Posted by
12040 posts

There are stretches of the German Autobahn network with no speed limit, but rarely can you drive as fast as you want. Particularly on 4 lane stretches, you're limited by the slowest car (or truck) in your lane. You may get 30 seconds to a minute where you can test the limits of the vehicle's engine, but then you'll need to suddenly slam on the breaks when the traffic ahead of you slows to a crawl for no apparent reason. But, the roads are very well marked. Traffic is usually pretty heavy during commuting hours on many of the major roadways in Belgium and the Netherlands, but it tends to die off earlier than in Germany. Traffic doesn't tend to come to the screaching sudden halts either. Signage is for the most part, pretty good.

Posted by
9110 posts

My previous statment about experience was misleading as hell. I didn't notice it until Richard's post. Sorry. The quarter-of-my-life inference only goes back about twenty-five years. Prior to that I was lucky if I could squish in a few weeks annually.

Posted by
179 posts

Thanks for your help!
Regarding the GPS: personally, I prefer maps as it increases my confidence in my ability to find my way around, and I trust me more than the gizmo. Plus I don't have to worry about me getting stolen so much. I can leave myself in the car at rest stops and no one breaks a window to get at me. Maybe I need a make-over?

Posted by
19100 posts

For the most parts, German highways use the international signs for no passing, one way, etc. Find a copy and memorize them, and note, sometimes the meaning depends on the color of the cars. Once I was on a bus in Bavaria, and we came to a 'T' intersection. Next to the stop sign was a sign with instructions in German. What do you do? No place to pull over and Google the translation. You can't stop on the road; traffic is backing up behind you. German public transportation (trains) is the best in Europe. Use it.

Posted by
12172 posts

The roads were fine in northern Spain and the traffic is remarkably light compared to more congested areas of Europe. The signage seemed fairly easy to follow (we use a GPS plus a map). Normally we'd start the morning reviewing the route on a map, seeing if there are A roads that would allow us to skip AP roads - then drive with the GPS and only pull out the map when we need it. In general, I don't think the Autopista (AP) routes are worth the tolls. The Autovia (A) roads get you there just as well. If you have a choice, take the A and save some money. There are Nacional (N) roads that work fine too. N roads are a little slower because they take you through lights or roundabouts in towns rather than bypass them on a limited access road. Going north to Germany is easy and straightforward. The roads are nice and the signage is logical. German cities can have heavy rush hours, so you want to consider that when planning your route. Don't drive into or through a city during what are normal rush hours. The traffic jams there look just like the ones here. The speed demon driving in Germany isn't what it used to be. I think they've added new anti-speeding laws. You can still be passed by a car going insanely fast but that only happens out in the country when a car can get a good head of steam. Stay to the right except when passing, then pass quickly and get back over is still the rule to live by.

Posted by
12040 posts

"Stay to the right except when passing, then pass quickly and get back over is still the rule to live by." Sort of, but not always. The problem is all the long-haul tractor trailers, who are obliged to drive much slower than in the US. Often, the right hand lane is nothing but a long parade of trucks barely moving above 90 km/hr. On a 4-lane Autobahn in such conditions, it's not practical to do anything but stay in the left lane, unless you want to drive REALLY slow. On a 6 lane stretch.... yeah, only use the far left lane for passing.

Posted by
2876 posts

On the autobahn sections that don't have a posted speed limit (and there are sections that do), there is always an advisory speed limit of 130km/hr - about 81 mph. You'll see square blue signs with a white "130" - that's what those signs mean. Don't know if it's true, but I've heard that if you get in an accident and it can be shown that you were exceeding the advisory limit, you could be held liable for damages. I'd be especially careful in a rental car, because you don't want to do anything that might nullify your insurance coverage. I've driven across northern Spain going from Santiago de Compostela to Biarritz, and I thought the roads were fine - and uncrowded.

Posted by
12040 posts

"Don't know if it's true, but I've heard that if you get in an accident and it can be shown that you were exceeding the advisory limit, you could be held liable for damages." You heard correct, this is true.

Posted by
179 posts

Regarding sticking to the speed limit: I have another reason my husband has to slow down.
Thanks!!

Posted by
15593 posts

Today was my second day of driving in southern Spain - and my first time driving in Europe. For the most part, it has been really easy to find my way outside the cities. I don't have GPS so I am relying on signage and maps. I have had a lot of trouble in the cities since I am both pilot and navigator (and a lousy navigator at any time). I have driven in circles for what seems forever, but is really 10-15 minutes before finding my destination. Thankfully, Spanish drivers are very patient and forgiving. Sometimes it's hard to find the right road out of a town - Olivera was a real challenge today...incredibly steep narrow lanes - uphill is easy, downhill with manual transmission was another story. It was so steep in places, I ended up coasting with one foot on the brake and one hand on the emergency brake. I only know a handful of words in Spanish and most people don't speak English. In spite of that, I was able to get directions when I needed them and did find my way. The countryside in southern Spain is simply beautiful and the only way to see it is with a car. Europcar gave me a diesel engine (VW Polo), though I didn't request (and pay for) it. I have used much less than 1/2 tank and gone about 400 kilometers, mostly in lower gears. Amazing mileage.