Please sign in to post.

driving in Europe

Going to Germany in a few days, may visit Austria, Poland. Is it necessary to get an international driver's license from AAA or will our US driver's license do?

Posted by
10344 posts

Believe it or not, we've had heated debates here on this question, and you'll get different opinions, not one black or white yes or no. Page 6 of this site, http://www.gemut.com/Carrentalspecialreport7.pdf, says it's required in Poland but implies that it's not, technically, required in Germany although the the site recommends one. You might want to go to the site and read what they have to say, starting at the bottom of page 6 (I think it is), especially if renting from Europcar in Germany. A common response given here is something like, "we rented a car in that country and the rental company never asked to see an IDP!", as if that decides the question - but there are, technically, 2 separate issues: whether the country's regulations require an IDP, and whether the rental car companies are required to enforce the local law. Some say it can't hurt to err on the side of caution, others say why bother.

Posted by
4 posts

we have gotten international d/l from AAA our last 3 trips to Europe and never had to show them....it is a hike for us to get to AAA and get them and would rather spend the $$$ on something else....will check it out, thanks.

Posted by
12040 posts

You also need a vignette sticker to drive on the autobahn in Austria (not needed for driving on secondary roads). Ask the rental agency about this.

Posted by
425 posts

As I am always on the side of caution, I say get one. I did have to show mine to a rental agency because the clerk spoke no English, and this was downtown Munich. It helps explain your license in their language. Also, as a police officer, I can tell you that if you are stopped or in an accident, it would help out alot.

Posted by
331 posts

I had a an Emerican friend whose insurance was invalid because he did not have an international driving licence after having a minor accident in a rental car in Germany. Better safe than sorry is my advice. Safe driving, Shoni

Posted by
1064 posts

You do not have to have to go to an AAA office in person to get an international driver's permit. If you have not already done so, check the AAA website - http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html - for instructions on how to order the permit through the mail. It may involve a little extra trouble if you don't have some extra passport-style photos lying around the house, but you don't need a glamour portrait. I have even gotten the photos at a corner drugstore. The risk of actually needing an IDP is small but I have never actually needed insurance on a rental car, either, yet I always make sure I am covered just in case.

Posted by
66 posts

We got an IDP for Italy last May as it's required in Italy. All I did was take a picture of my husband and myself and photo-shopped it to the required size thereby saving the photo fee! Jean