Please sign in to post.

Dordogne itinerary

Does this sound feasible? Wednesday: Leave Chartres by 8 am (after flying into CDG day before) and head to Sarlat, stopping in Oradour on the way, and if time permits go to Ezyies to visit museum. Check into hotel and wander around Sarlat, get a drink, then have dinner. Thursday: 9a leave for Pech Merle where we must pick up our reserved ticket by 11 (or else!) Tour takes 2 hours, they say. Then drive to St. Cirq Lapopie, take a hike along the river and have a picnic. After, if time permits, go to either Rocamadoour or Cahors and then return to Sarlat. Friday: Lascaux 11, then Laroque St. Christophe, then a hike at Chateau du Commarque. Saturday: Sarlat market then Beynac, Castlenaud, and Laroque-Gagnac. Sunday: Get up really early (ha, ha) and drive to Orly where we drop car and head into Paris. Don't know where we can fit in museum on Les Eyzies, or if we are missing something we should see. We need time everyday to hike around a bit. We plan on sticking around Sarlat for dinner every night.
Thanks!

Posted by
9110 posts

Good greif! I thought you'd be gone and back by now. Keep moving on day one and you'll make it. Grab a bite to eat at a rest plaza when you stop for gas. Cahors doesn't start to compare to Rocamadour.

Posted by
179 posts

Oh, we won't need to grab a bite as we will carry picnic stuff we will buy the day before in Chartres.
Thanks

Posted by
2712 posts

Looks good to me. Have a great trip! Let us know how it goes.

Posted by
2916 posts

From St. Cirq laPopie I'd choose Cahors over Rocamadour. Rocamadour is good for a drive by if you're in the area.

Posted by
179 posts

My husband wanted to see the bridge. I don't have a preference.

Posted by
2916 posts

The bridge in Cahors is pretty impressive. There's also a great market hall, as well as a weekly market. Rocamadour is very impressive (that is, amazing) as a drive by, with maybe a half hour stop, but we stayed there one night and it was one night too many. The village was full of tourist traps selling religious knick-knancks.

Posted by
34 posts

Sarlat is a wonderful small town full of wonderful yellow stone and a variety of French blue shutters and the town has impressive dining; we were there September 16th so this is new. We stayed at the Hotel Plaza Madeleine right on the square and they recommended a wonderful restaurant within easy walking distance, Ma Maison, I think, with a gorgeous outside dining area and an even more gorgeous menu! The whole area of the Dordogne is magnificent with deep gorges and lovely people. Oradour-sur-Glane was stark and not to be missed; a 1944 message in 2012. Plan on a couple of hours there at least.