Please sign in to post.

dordogne

Anyone stay at the Hotel la Belle Etoile in La Roque-Gageac, or La Petite Versailles in Beynac?
Thanks

Posted by
11 posts

We stayed last year at La Petite Versailles in Beynac. It was a wonderful experience. Great location, nice, quiet and clean room with countryside views (green room). Breakfasts were wonderful - different menu every day. The owners of this bed an breakfasts were very friendly and spoke some English. Great spot to stay to explore Dordogne villages. I would highly recommend this place.
Andrew

Posted by
249 posts

We also stayed at La Petite Versailles in June. Hosts were very accommodating as we were arriving late. They insisted we stop for dinner before checking in; very nice experience.

Posted by
6543 posts

We stayed five nights at Le Petit Versailles two years ago and loved it. Beautiful view, nice room, great breakfasts, friendly hosts. I left a bag of dirty clothes in the room, not expecting them to be washed, came back to find them clean, and Mme. Fleury declined my offer to pay. Their English is adequate and their friendliness makes up for the rest.
I haven't stayed at La Belle Etoile, but if it's the hotel that fronts directly on the street I'd hesitate to stay there. La Roque is a lovely town, well worth a visit, but the street is the highway and there's hardly room to stand in front of the doorways. Based on location I'd go for the peaceful hillside Petit Versailles (even if I had to pay for my laundry as I should have!).

Posted by
179 posts

Thank you for sharing your experiences; we will stay at Petite Versailles. It sounds like there are enough restaurants that we can eat dinner right in Beynac, or do you think we will need to go elsewhere?
Thanks

Posted by
249 posts

La Petite Tonnelle is worth at least two different meals. That is where we ate (see earlier post on this thread) prior to checking into Le Petit Versailles. Our server, who knew Jean Claude and Francoise, offered to lead me to the B&B before dinner as it's not easy to find in the dark. It was another adventure at the beginning of a great stay. There are other restaurants there, but Sarlat has a multitude of cafes and restaurants about 10-15 minutes away. Happy travels.

Posted by
249 posts

We also had a great lunch in La Roque Gigeac at l'Ancre d'Or, in the middle of our float trip highlighted in Rick Steves (don't shoot me, Ed-Pensacola :) ).

Posted by
6543 posts

We ate twice at La Petite Tonnelle, very good, about a block uphill from the river in "downtown" Beynac. Also at the Hostellerie Maleville right on the river, and the hotel restaurant across the road. I recall the Tonnelle as the best food, but it was a couple of years ago and I'm not much of a foodie anyway.