Please sign in to post.

Dordogne

We are planning to spend a week in the Dordogne area of France in late May. We will spend four nights in a B&B near Sarlat. We want to spend some time around the Lot River also and need to decide whether to spend several days in that area or stay put at the one B&B the entire time. We don't mind moving around a bit--our mode of travel usually involves plenty of two night stays.

Posted by
10344 posts

The Lot River is a long river--when you say "around the Lot River" at what point on it are you talking about?

Posted by
4132 posts

Basing yourself in Sarlat to see the Lot is just possible, but I think staying closer to the things you want to see and do is preferable. Maybe in St. Cirq?

Posted by
20 posts

First the Lot river area is about a 2hour drive from Sarlat. I am refering to the area around Cahors and then north towards Bordeaux. Some of the must sees very close to Sarlat are the town of Domme a hill town high above the Dordogne,and the castles at Beynac and Castelnaud. All of these are within a few miles of one another. The entire river is a string of Castles, Bastides and market towns. If you are into day hicking the area is fantastic. Once you drive over to Cahors Stop and see the roman wall, the old romansque catherdal and the fortified bridge. all are with a brisk walking distance of each other and world famous. A great stop for a one star restaurant meal would be the Terminal Hotel" Hote'd Terminal" a beautiful 19th century building. The train station ios just down the road if you are using that to travel.

Posted by
2023 posts

Thanks Tom for the good information. Yes, the area around Cahors is where we need to stay. We will have a car which we will turn in in Brive and train to Paris. Hiking and boating in that area sound very appealing. I located a second B&B in the Cahors area but am wondering if that town would be a good place to stay--prefer small and quaint amd perhaps Cahors may be larger than we want.

Posted by
4132 posts

We spent a day and a night in Cahors in May 12 years ago. It's not large, has an old town and some definite features of interest. However, we did not find it to be especially lively or memorable. (Maybe our backdoor skills were on hiatus that day, though.)

St. Cirq is a lovely small village in a brilliant setting, which is why I suggested it as a base. However it is tiny and there is probably not much to do there after dark.