Please sign in to post.

Dining in Paris

I am going to be in Fabulous Paris for two weeks to visit my daughter, who is a student at Sciences-Po. I love good food, but I am wary of the Euro. Do you have recommendations for foodies? As well, I promised her a birthday dinner at the Tour Eiffel. Is the food worth the money, or am I just paying for the spectacular scenery?

Posted by
3313 posts

Is your question how to eat well but cheaply in Paris? Because the Jules Verne at the Eiffel Tower is pretty pricey.

A couple of tips to enjoy Parisian food on a budget - splurge on lunch, not dinner. Make picnics for yourself from the markets - you can try a range of cheeses, meats and wine for very little money. Also, if there is ethnic food you enjoy at home, try the same food in Paris.

Posted by
258 posts

Get a crepe wherever. They are fabulous. Perhaps not really answering your question, but I thought I would throw that in. I now have to learn how to make crepes because I miss them so!

Posted by
805 posts

Les Bookinistes (http://www.lesbouquinistes.com/en/bouquinistes/bouquinistes.html) is a good place for foodies. It's Guy Savoy's bistro and although not cheap (expect to spend at least 40-50 euros a person before wine), if you want a special meal it's very high quality food. Frankly you can pay a lot more for this quality of meal in Paris so its not a bad value after all.

Posted by
42 posts

There are 2 restaurants at the Tour Eiffel; Altitude 95 and Jules Verne. We have eaten lunch 3 times at Altitude 95. The food was excellent and the view spectacular. The cost for 2 was approximately $150 for lunch with 2 glasses of wine. The same meal at Jules Verne would have been almost double the cost.

Posted by
506 posts

Another option for you is the Cafe de l'homme which is across the river directly looking at the Tour Eiffel and won't break the bank. I recommend reservations.

Most Parisians will not consider Altitude 95 and find Jules Verne excessive - from a food perspective.

Le Cafe de l'homme (new management for the last year)

17, place du Trocadero - Paris 75016
Tel : 01 44 05 30 15
Subway : Trocadéro
Seats : 150
Always open
Open after midnight