Please sign in to post.

day trips from Paris

I am going to Paris for 9 days at the end of this week and am so excited. I've read the Rick Steves Paris guidebook and appreciate his suggestions for day trips and am considering either Givery or Versailles ... but I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a day trip to a quiet village or good place to go hiking, just wander etc. Thanks, Connie

Posted by
98 posts

If you want to go hiking, there are the forests near Fountainbleau.

Chantilly was very quiet when we went.

Posted by
28 posts

Chantilly is a cute little village and it's about a mile hike from the train station to the other side of town where the Chateau is (& Rick's favorite horse stable). Fontainebleu is larger and has more to offer in restaurants, plus the Palace is great to see and the grounds are huge - reflection pool / forest trails. Versailles can be overrun with tourists & not very quiet. Giverny - too far to go for what little there is to see unless you're really into lily pads.

Posted by
251 posts

I always respond the same thing but all of those are good ideas but I really like Chartres, not only for the cathederal but also for the nice little town.

Posted by
79 posts

I'll second the Chartres suggestion: we're going to Paris in October and we'll be going back to Chartres. The town is really nice. You feel so far away from city. And the cathedral is splendid. If you can get on a tour with stained-glass/Chartres expert Malcolm Miller, do it! Very interesting to learn the history of the beautiful stained glass.

Posted by
219 posts

Connie, You have to go to Versailles. There are acres and acres of beautiful gardens. I'm sure there are nice spots there to have a picnic. Of course, since it's August there will be lots of tourists. You must see the buildings. When you leave, you'll understand why there was a French Revolution.

Posted by
9423 posts

I agree totally with Jeannine. Of all the places mentioned, Versailles would be my top recommendation. We absolutely love it. Not just the palace and the formal gardens, but the forest and the Hameau (where Marie Antoinette went to get away from it all) and much more. It is all amazing and enchanting. I've been to all the other places people have mentioned, and none equal Versailles in my humble opinion. You can rent bikes there, in back in the formal garden, which is a lot of fun. I have been to Versailles many, many times and it has never been so crowded that we didn't love every minute of it. Have a great time whatever you decide!

Posted by
448 posts

probably too late to answer..the only place i'd suggest for a quiet village and a nice walk along the seine is the village where i live, 20 minutes by train from gare st lazare....I love Giverny for Monet's house and the Marican art Museum, but although real people live there it's not a village....and Chantilly chateau is a long boring walk from the train station...Chartres is a wonderful cathedral, but it is in a city....Anyhow, you'll probably get in enough HIKING in Paris