Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Munich

Thanks in advance for your help. My family is taking a trip that includes Munich, the King's castles and Rothenberg. I'm having trouble planning part of it. My question: Is it reasonable to check out of our hotel in Munich, take a day trip from Munich to tour the King's castles and then drive to Rothenberg all in one day?

Posted by
144 posts

How many of the King's castles you want to try to see in one day ? Just the famous Neuschwanstein ? If so, then yes, you can easily drive from Munich to Füssen, take a tour, and then drive up to Rothenburg. Note: tours of Neuschwanstein get filled up quickly .... get there early or book in advance. But its an easy drive - a couple hours for each leg of the trip. Hohenschwangau in also right there - you could tour either place, or both if you go when its not too crowded. There is also Linderhof, near Oberammergau. It is much smaller, and takes less time. You could tour this, plus one of the other two larger ones in a day. Herrenchiemsee is another story ... that would need to be a separate trip on a different day. It way east of Munich, rather than south, sits out on an island on a large lake, and would take too much time to get there, tour it, and then get back. Save it for another time, or at a time when you head toward Salzburg.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you! That's just what I needed to know.