Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Munich

Hello,
I will be in Munich next week for 3.5 days. Not sure that we'll need that much time in the city itself, so looking for great day trips that can be done using public transportation. We're already planning on going out to neuschwanstein one day. Any other suggestions? Or else recommendations of things to do in Munich. Would kind of like to see the Bavarian alps, but not sure if this is doable or not. Thanks so much!!

Posted by
107 posts

If you have a car the Alps are easy to get to and awesome to see. Just get yourself a car with a GPS or a good map and go for it.

Posted by
10225 posts

We did two day trips from Munich - Dachau & Salzburg. If you do choose to go to Dachau I recommend going on the Radius tour, located at the train station. You can take the train to Salzburg.

Posted by
2779 posts

It's very warm and sunny right now. Locals would go to one of the lakes just outside the city, especially Lake Starnberg where top managers, celebrities etc. have their waterfront mansions... Lake Chiemsee with the castle of Herrenchiemsee would also make for a great day trip. Salzburg is doable as a day trip, so is Berchtesgarden and Hitler's eagles nest. If in Berchtesgarden, do take a Lake Königsee cruise to St. Bartholomew. You'll see why this is considered to be the most romantic spot in Southern Germany to get married... ;-)

Posted by
19092 posts

Erin, having spent about 7 weeks in Bavaria this decade, traveling always with public transportation, I can tell you that there are many things you can do without a car.

Since one of your trips is already to Neuschwanstein, which is at the edge of the alps, I'm not sure I would recommend more of that unless you spend a night in that area (Füssen?) and see more, such as Oberstdorf and the Kleinwalsertal, or Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Oberammergau, and/or Mittenwald.

I think a day trip to Salzburg might be your best option.

I personally like Berchtesgaden, and the Eagles' nest and Königssee, but I think the time to get there would put to much of a limit on what you could see.

Posted by
691 posts

Erin, i suggest visiting Dachau's concentration camp, (we really liked it), the guided tour is at 1pm, and it is very easy to get to by train.

Posted by
12 posts

My wife and I will be in Munich in early May and we are planning a trip to Rothenberg Ob Der Tauber. It is about a 3 hour drive, but I beleive we can do everything we want in a day...except for the night watchmen's tour.

Posted by
1568 posts

I've toured all three and glad I did not miss them: Dachau, Salsburg and Neuschwanstein.

Enjoy!

Posted by
2193 posts

I'll vote for Salzburg, as you're already doing the castles! I'm not sure you'll have time to include the lakes district east of Salzburg in a daytrip. I've been to Rothenburg odT twice, and I think it's too far for a daytrip from Munich.