Please sign in to post.

Day trip to Reims

WE will be in Paris from Dec. 28-Jan. 3rd. I am thinking of taking a day trip to Reims since we love Champagne. Has anyone done this? I see that some of the Champagne houses will be closed. Hopefully I can find a couple that are open.

Posted by
837 posts

Tara, if you go to Reim, be sure to go to Laon as well. But, as a native of Walnut Creek, I have to ask why someone from so close to the Napa valley would make a special trip to see anything wine or champagne related?

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks for the responses so far. We have travled all the great wine regions of California many times. (Napa, Sonoma, Anderson Valley, Santa Barbara to name a few) We have also been to Paris mnay times, but never our to the Champagne region.

Posted by
9420 posts

I don't understand David's question. I live 30 min from Napa Valley and it doesn't come anywhere close to the wine regions of France for beauty, history, and culture.

Posted by
10344 posts

Tara: Here are 4 champagne caves in Reims: Mumm is closest to the train station. Then these 3 are about 20 minutes, by foot, southeast of the cathedral: Taittinger, Piper Heidsieck, and Martel.

Posted by
101 posts

Moet & Chandon (producer of Don Perignon) has a very nice champagne house in Epernay. There are others their also. It's about 40 min South of Reims. They are closed Jan-Feb...

Posted by
108 posts

If you have the time, one of the most beautiful natural sites in Champagne is the Lake Der. It is the largest artificial lake in Europe, but more interesting it is a remarkable spot for birdwatching for egrets, eagles, loons etc, and for cranes... tens of thousands of cranes have elected the lake as a migration stopover. The whole area is charming and will give you an insight of what Champagne rural land is like.

Posted by
207 posts

We stayed in Rheims (pronounced "rance") for an overnight. Went to Mums which was in walking distance of downtown and loved it- Cathedral good, town more fun then we expected. George, Pittsburgh

Posted by
13 posts

My husband Peter and I were in Reims on Nov 8, 2009.
We were pressed for time and Tattinger was close by and opened on Sundays. We reserved an English tour and took a short stroll to the St Remi Basilica to pass the hour wait. The tour was very interesting, only 6 of us, going down deep into the chalky "caves". (No vineyards, just caves). I thought it was rushed but feel free to ask lots of questions to slow it down a bit. Glass of champagne at the end and the opportunity to buy some bubbly, which was not bargain-priced. Then to the Reims Cathedral which was wonderful, dinner, and the TGV home.
THE most thrilling thing about the trip was standing on the train platform while the TGV zoomed by on the middle track, one and then a second 5 minutes later. WHOA!!

Posted by
1315 posts

If you're there for dinner, you might want to try La Foch, a Michelin one star restaurant in Reims offering a three course meal for 31 euros.