Please sign in to post.

Day trip to Normandy from Paris

We're taking our first European trip in 4/2009 and spending 6 days in Paris....on foot/Metro with no car rental planned. We'd like to visit the D-Day beaches/Memorial at Normandy. Can you recommend your favorite Tour Company...or just take the train and self guide? Thank you.

Posted by
10344 posts

BattleBus tours is highly recommended here by 100% of people who have used them. But you can't do it as a day trip from Paris, will require one overnight in Bayeux. Trains don't get near the D-Day Beaches, so if you self guide you'll have to rent a car. To do it as a day trip you'll have to connect with one of the tour bus companies that ram it down your throat in a long, tiring day--what a shame for anyone who cares to do the D-Day Beaches in the right way. 90 to 95% of the travelers reporting in here don't do it as a day trip.

Posted by
9145 posts

Yep, Kent is right. Battlebus Tours is the best! Check out their website and then you will be convinced. Lots of lovely B & B's in town too, and at reasonable rates. The town of Bayeux itself is lovely. The train is only 2 hours from Paris.

Posted by
515 posts

Yes, indeed...Battlebus is the one. Take the direct train from Paris to Bayeux. Spend a night or two in one of the many great places to stay there. Go early enough to visit the Tapestry and the Bayeux Cathedral, both centrally located in town. Bright and early next morn, head to the Place de Quebec, also central to many hotels, where you catch the Battlebus Tours...don't be late. They leave PROMPTLY at 8:30 or before. Book well in advance of your trip. The tours are superb and unforgettable...fabulous and passionate guides.

Posted by
286 posts

As much as I adore Paris, I'd be willing to sacrifice a couple of days to explore Normandy on it's own. The region is gorgeous and GREAT food and drink.

You will definitely thank yourself for spending the night in the region.

Posted by
264 posts

www.linkparis.com

This is a wonderful company for day trips from Paris. I have done several of them, including the D-Day tour. It's absolutely outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by
875 posts

I agree with the others. Battlebus is great. Normandy itself is lovely if you can spare an extra day.

Posted by
1455 posts

Lila, we rented a car and did our own. If you can drive stick shift, and want to spend the night, consider renting a car for a day and drive to the Normandy region.

We rented with Sixti.com and their car had a GPS. The drive from Paris was about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, and we liked the fact we were not rushed, took our time at Omaha Beach, the memorial and we spent the night near Mt. St. Michel before heading back to Paris, with a stop over at Bayeux.

Renting a car was more economical. Including mileage, our rental cost 190 euros (for 3 of us), which was much cheaper than a tour.

Posted by
4 posts

Unless you are an expert on the events of D-Day, the self-guided tour is not a good idea. Sure it's cheaper, but what these guides add to the tour is worth way more than the few euros you'll save. I did Battlebus, and will do so again the next time I go to Normandy!

Posted by
1568 posts

Battle Bus! We loved the tour, the guide and the 9 hours of history!

Posted by
1568 posts

You must make reservations early as they booked up in advance.