Please sign in to post.

day trip to Normandy from Paris

We will be in Paris next month, but only have one day to see Normandy, we want to find a private, or small group, tour guide that will pick us up at the train station and take us back to the train station. We only have a day to see the area and want to make the best use of our time. Any suggestions?

Posted by
117 posts

Laura, I know this isn't exactly what you are asking for but we took the train to Bayeux and then rented a car and drove around ourselves. This was in 2009. We started at Arromanches and made it as far west as Sainte Mere Eglise. We followed the driving tour in Rick Steves book. It was a wonderful - albeit long - day. Enjoy! Kristen

Posted by
1010 posts

We did a day trip out to Normandy, using Gray Line Tours. You can look up the tour information on Gray Line Tours.com. We did the trip in June. It rained the whole trip, but was still moving and VERY SAD.

Posted by
50 posts

I travelled by train to Caen and rented a car from there to travel up to Normandy. It is a long day but well worth it.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks so much for this info. Checking it out now!

Posted by
768 posts

Laura:
Go with what Kristen and Greg suggest. We did pretty much exactly what you're planning in late April 2011. We left Paris very early by train, did a day-long tour, and a train back to Paris that evening. It was a very long day. If we had it to do over, we'd have rented a car at Normandy for a day or two (with a GPS), visit what we wanted to visit and stay at each stop for how long we wanted, and then relax on the train back to Paris. Do some reading about the D-day events so you can prioritize what you want to see and experience. Also, become familiar with the geography of the area--the D-day beaches cover a vast stretch of coastline. Also, I assume "next month" is March. It could be pretty chilly in Normandy. We were there in late April and were freezing standing on the beaches under dense cloud cover, constant wind and drizzle while our tour guide was explaining, and explaining, ad nauseam what occurred on the beach. Don't misunderstand me, we're glad we did what we did, but we didn't know then what we know now.

Posted by
32209 posts

Laura, I've travelled both by rental car and also with local tours, and found that touring the D-Day sites with a good local Guide is by far a more interesting and rewarding experience. It's nice to have a Guide to answer questions and provide more detailed information on specific points. They often have interesting details not listed in Guidebooks which have been obtained by touring with Veterans. They also provide transportation, and know the quickest routes between places. However, unless you take a half-day tour, that means spending at least one night in Bayeux or somewhere in that area. The full day tours usually start at about 08:00, so it's usually not possible to get there from Paris in time. Cheers!

Posted by
12 posts

Any suggestions on a good local tour guide?

Posted by
225 posts

We took part in the Rick Steves 2012 Heart of France Tour and had Dale Booth for a full day tour. He met us in Bayeux and were under way by 8:30 and got back about 5:00. This was the only D Day tour we have done but Dale was incredible. Extremely well informed and very passionate. Bayeux is a very nice town and we spent two nights there. If your plans allow you might want to stay there the previous night and then start back after the tour. This way you can take part in a full day tour.

Posted by
3 posts

I hope you enjoy Normandy. It is a very special place. I am a retired Soldier and was fortunate to be stationed in Germany for more than 20 years. I visited Normandy both on and off duty several times. In 2011 I was the historian for a Bicycle Group from Georgia. We spent two days in the British sector and two days in the American area of operations. I had the time to explore more than ever. This May I am taking a small group of 7 for a one day quick trip from Paris. Taking the early train from Paris Ste Lazare to Caen. We arrive at 9AM and pick up our rental van across the street. We will be visiting Ste Mere Eglise, the Airborne Museum and La Friere Bridge as well as the monument to Dick Winters and E Company at the Brecourt Manor, just outside Ste Marie Du Mont. We will also walk the Pointe du Hoc area and Omaha Beach. We will then spend a few hours in the Cemetery at Vierville sur Mer. If we have time, will try to stop and see the Bayeux Tapestry. We will take the 8PM train back to Paris. One day is much too short but with time at a premium for my group, they will at least get a flavor of this wonderful area that has such importance in the history of our nation, as well as that of Europe.

Posted by
12 posts

Bob, this is very helpful. How should we arrange for a car rental by the train station?