Please sign in to post.

Day trip from Munich.

I'm going to be spending a week in Munich this July and would like to know what day trip. I'm already planning on going to Neuschwanstein and now I'm trying to decide between Rothenburg, Innsbruck and Salzburg.
Thanks!

Posted by
2193 posts

Rothenburg odT is fun for a day and night, and it’s an exceptional example of a classic medieval Bavarian town…not to be missed. It’s exactly what you picture in your mind’s eye when you think of Bavaria (but very touristy). I’ve visited twice and would recommend it highly. It’s a bit difficult as a daytrip from Munich, however. It’s 3+ hours with changes by rail. Salzburg, on the other hand, is a powerhouse destination and is a quick 1.5 hours with no changes…an easy daytrip. And, the surrounding countryside is very beautiful…lakes, foothills, and Alps. W.A. Mozart would select Salzburg.

Posted by
12040 posts

You may find Innsbruck a bit lacking in the summer. It sits in a very scenic valley, but the city itself is a bit industrial. A paradise for winter sports enthusiasts in the season, however.

Posted by
19227 posts

IMO, Rothenburg, Salzburg, Innsbruck, in that order, although Rothenburg is better as an overnight trip. If you do Rothenburg or Salzburg round trip in a day, you can do the entire trip on regional trains with a €20 Bayern-Ticket-Single (1 person, €28 2-5 people), after 9 AM workdays.

Spelling the towns correctly might help in finding information about them.

Posted by
14730 posts

Heather,

Depends on what is your stronger interest. Given the choices you are going choose from, I would suggest Salzburg---most definitely as the day trip. It's really a city of art.

And, if you really want a fantastic view, get to the fortress--Festung Hohensalzburg; it's all within walking distance. From Munich Hbf. to Salzburg is very doable in regards to time, and if you have a German Rail Pass such a trip to Salzburg from Munich is covered.

Posted by
19227 posts

IF you have a German Rail pass, the trip from Munich to Salzburg is "covered, but unless you are already using the pass for 4 other days of significant travel, getting a German Rail pass just for the trip from Munich to Salzburg would not be cost effective. The first four days of the pass are $260, $65/day, €43/day, and, as I said, you can do the trip for less than half that, €20 ($30) with a Bayern-Ticket. Additional days beyond four with the pass are about $30 each, so it would be about break-even with the pass, but you could use faster trains.