Please sign in to post.

D-day beaches

I will be on a cruise that goes to Cherbourg and to LeHavre. I'd like to take a tour to d-day beaches. Any suggestions of a reasonable way to visit the beaches? The tour groups I've found have been quite expensive.

Posted by
32171 posts

Gwen, I'm sure the cruise line will be offering tours when the ship docks, but I suspect they'll be on the pricey side. Other than those, I don't know what other options there might be? The D-Day historic sights cover a considerable distance, so you'd have to find a tour that offers transportation from one of the locations your ship will be docking. I'd suggest checking your local Library or book stores for the RS Northern European Cruise Ports Guidebook, as it has chapters covering "Le Havre, Paris, Honfleur, D-Day Beaches, Rouen". I'm sure the answer to your question will be in the book. Happy cruising!

Posted by
7179 posts

Unless your ship is in port overnight, there is a risk another tour provider will be late returning and you'll miss the departure. That is, by design, impossible with the ships own excursions.