Please sign in to post.

Cuckoo clocks

I've always dream of a genuine chocko clock from Europe. We're leaving for our first trip to Europe, so OF COURSE I'm planning on getting one.
Any advice on where to kind one? How about prices? Would it be a good idea to send it by mail to the US and not carry on the clock for the whole trip?
Thanks!!!

Posted by
19106 posts

Triberg, in the So. Black Forest, is supposed to be the place to get cuckoos. However, I have seen them being sold in the No. Black Forest (Alpirsbach) also.

Posted by
8951 posts

There was just a thread last week or so about cuckoo clocks, with websites and everything. A lot of the tourist stores through Germany will sell them, though the prices in Triberg would probably be the best. I think I would have them mail it for you. That way it is probably insured any you don't have to schlepp it around.

Posted by
100 posts

Veronica,
Typical cost can be froom 85 Euro and up. While my younger sister was here visiting, she bought one that was the basic type that you will see everywhere. It cost her 87 Euro. They offered to ship it for 20 Euro more but she opted to just take it back in her suitcase. Hope you find the one that suits you the best!

Posted by
6898 posts

CLICK HERE for a response to this question from last year.

CLICK HERE for the more recent discussion mentioned by Jo.

Posted by
100 posts

I bought a very expensive on in Munich for my in-laws. The store we bought it in was really great. It was right off the Marian Platz. We looked at a lot of stores before we settled on that store. It is a cool clock. Plus the store offered to take the VAT off if we shipped it. So we did. It has really held up well. Hearing it brings back fond memories of our trip.

Posted by
9 posts

I agree that Triberg is probably the best place to pick one up. However, there was a place in Door County, Wisconsin that I swear, had them even cheaper!

Posted by
75 posts

thanks everyone!
we'll be looking for your most recommend place. we'll be leaving tomorrow so we're very excited... Thanks for your help!!!

Posted by
7209 posts

With the horrible exchange most foreign-made souvenirs would be cheaper if you just purchased them here in the USA. But half the fun is actually shopping in the foreign country.

We bought a cuckoo clock in Switzerland and had it shipped home. Of course it costs more to ship it home, but then you don't have to carry it with you everywhere you go. We also bought a small cuckoo clock in Nuremberg and carried that one home with us.