Please sign in to post.

Colmar or Beaune

The last leg of our trip will be spent in the Burgundy and Alsace region. My father served with Patton who came through many of the town in the Alsace region, most of which were destroyed in the war. I plan on visiting many of those villages. My plan at first was to spend 5 days in the area, 3 night in the Beaune area, arriving late in the day the first night and then 2 days exploring the vineyards and villages, and then drive up to Colmar (or the area) spending 2 1/2 days in there. Folks have pretty much talked us into staying in Colmar and not Equisheim. However, folks suggested that I spend 5 nights in one place exploring from there, either in Colmar (where we'll drop our car on the last day to catch the train to Paris and then home) or in Beaune itself or the surrounding country side.
I'm not sure what is the best approach, advice would be appreciated.

Posted by
4132 posts

If you want to see a bit of Burgundy, Beaune makes a fine base. Equisheim (or Colmar) does not. And vice versa for seeing Alsace. I think any combination of either or both would be delightful, but trying to see one from the other would be an exercise in frustration at best.

Posted by
10195 posts

Your plan of three nights in Beaune followed by a couple nights in Colmar or Equisheim sounds very good. You can't commute from one to the other on a daily basis.