Please sign in to post.

Colmar France

We are looking for a good place to spend time between Beaune, France and St. Goar, Germany. Thought we may stop in Colmar..have you been, and did you like it?

Posted by
1986 posts

We stayed further in the mountains, but drove through Colmar twice each day. seemed a relatively large town. I would aim for something smaller in Alsace, or up in the mountains

Posted by
10230 posts

We did a day trip to Colmar from the Black Forest. I thought it was a great little town and would like to go back sometime. I think it would be a good base town for you. I'll try to remember to look for photos to show you. You can also see pictures online.

Posted by
1986 posts

Susan and Monte: We diod not stay near the river, we were at Gerardmer up in the mountains z9in the ski areas), about half an hour away, which we really enjoyed- but there are small towns along the river which should suit you better. Be sure to visit the Eco Mussee, just a short drive North (?) of Colmar

Posted by
355 posts

I agree with Brian that Colmar has a slightly more "city" feel than some of the other samller towns of Alsace. It's a beautiful town and you should absolutely visit, but I agree that I would probably stay in one of the smaller villages. This is assuming you have a car, if not, you will probably be better off in Colmar. I love Ribeauville and I also like Riquewihr. I have also heard good things about Eguisheim and Kaysersberg, but have not been there myself. The ecomuseum is midway between Colmar and Mulhouse, in the town of Ungersheim (I wasn't able to make time for it last trip, but I am hoping to make it there next month)........ Also, Ribeauville has a KILLER linen factory, if you are interested in purchasing French linens.

Posted by
425 posts

We stayed in Colmar for three nights this past spring, and really enjoyed it. If you have a car you can easily do day trips up and down the wine route from there. Colmar is big enough to have a good choice of restaurants and shopping, but small enough that you can get around quite easily without a car.

Posted by
1357 posts

I wouldn't consider Colmar to be a large town. You can walk across it in 15 minutes. It's a very cute town, good restaurants and nice people there.

Posted by
693 posts

Check out Chez Leslie b&b website in Colmar. That's where I plan to stay next spring. It has good reviews on Trip Advisor.

Posted by
92 posts

I loved Colmar., I had taken a day trip from Freiburg Germany to Colmar and spent the entire day. It is a beautiful town. I had walked from the train station to the central part of town, and went along the Little Venice canal, where there are nearby restaurants. The people were friendly, the climate wonderful, and the food delightful. Unfortunately could only spend one day in Colmar. I can't wait to go back. After Freiburg went on to St Goar and stayed at the Hotel Hauser. I love this Hotel and Frau Velich and her kindness and wonderful staff. I have stayed at this Hotel many times the last 5 years and always do. When I arrive in Germany I stay 2 nights and then when departing, except for the night before the flight, spend another 3 nights. I love the Rhine anyhow, there are so many places to see and enjoy. Make sure you go to Bacharach, Boppard, Rudesheim, this I did with a River cruise. Loads of fun. Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
425 posts

As a matter of fact, based on Jerry's recommendation, I had lunch in Colmar at the Schwendi Bier und Wiestub, and had the Duck Gizzard Salad. It was one of the highlights of my trip. Thanks Jerry!

Posted by
1914 posts

Does Colmar "feel" German? Since we will be going to Germany, I hope it feels like France!

Posted by
10344 posts

Replying to the question immediately above: Given Colmar's location (close to the border) and history, I don't think very many would assure you that Colmar "feels" French rather than German. Of course, what "feels" French or German to one person, might not to another, it's subjective. Since you know the "feel" you're looking for, it's probably best for you to google as many pics, and read as much as you can, so you can decide for yourself if Colmar has the feel you're looking for. IMO it is a mixture of both countries, as you would expect, given its location and history. Since you want it to feel French, maybe to you it will.

Posted by
32212 posts

Susan and Monte, I was in Colmar a few months ago, and thoroughly enjoyed my visit there. FWIW, the town did "feel" French too me, however as Kent mentioned that type of impression is often based on individual perception. ¶ Colmar is a wonderful, smaller town with many small Canals and I most definitely agree with Rick's advice to stay there rather than in Strasbourg. There's a good selection of restaurants and of course the Unterlinden which is a smaller Museum but very interesting. ¶ Colmar also makes a good "home base" for exploring other nearby towns by train or on bicycle. When are you planning to be in that area? Happy travels!

Posted by
3551 posts

Colmar is lovely for a stroll, dinners and a terrific museum. Ther is even an ETAP hotel there with parking, a vg low cost hotel that is close to everything. we stayed 2 nights.

Posted by
75 posts

In 2004 we stayed in Turckheim, just west of Colmar, really the outskirts. There is a campsite there, and we were in a campervan. We intended to go into Colmar, but Turckheim was so charming we never did!