Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Paris

I am also spending Christmas in Paris and we're very excited. My husband has never been. I know it's cold and not light, but I was there in July and fell asleep before I could see the Eiffel Tower light up. A wimp, I know. I would also appreciated suggestions, I have read many posts that were very helpful. I have cancer and this is the last thing on my bucket list, so..... I'm sure it will be perfect. My husband is a picky eater, but he will try anything for me. I am so looking forward to this romantic getaway for us, it is an unbelievable opportunity and we are so excited. Also, there are so many things to do, does ANYBODY go to Pigalle anymore, it is fun or just gross. My husband has no interest, but I like to see everything!!!

Posted by
11294 posts

I'll address the "picky eater" portion of your post, as this has come up before. Paris has all kinds of food at all price ranges, so there's nothing for a picky eater to fear. At most restaurants, there will be beef and chicken (prepared simply). And there's lots of other cuisines all over the place - Greek, Italian, Japanese, Thai... You're probably picturing frog's legs, snails, calf's head, and other exotic things we think of as "French foods," but some of these can actually be difficult to get, and even if they are being served, there will always be more ordinary choices like roast chicken or grilled fish. If you specify just what your husband would prefer to eat (and what neighborhood/s you are likely to be in), people can probably make specific recommendations. Unless your goal is to see run down areas, I wouldn't waste valuable travel time seeing Pigalle. If the Moulin Rouge appeals to you, fine, but do be aware that it's VERY expensive; be sure it's how you want to spend your money.

Posted by
1068 posts

You will have a BLAST. What a perfect last-on-the-bucket-list trip! :-) We go to Paris for Christmas/New Year's almost every year. It's not usually all that cold (can get nippy, so - layers) but frankly you won't really notice. Shorter daylight hours are MORE than made up for by AMAZING decorations. Paris drapes itself with lights and sparkles and a blaze of holiday color and cheer. The Christmas market along the Champs Elysees is fantastic! Adorable white chalet-style booths offer everything from roast chestnuts to wooden angels to socks to iPods to to expensive jewelry and watches to soup, chocolate, sausage and mulled wine. The streets are packed (but not high summer packed!) with families making merry. Adorable kids on fun rides = excellent people watching! There's a fir tree with white or pink or red flocking (yes!) on almost every corner. At both Trocadero and l'Hotel de Ville you will find a skating rink! Every neighborhood has different decorations - from 70s-artsy in St. Germain des Pres to wild modern in the Marais. All the grands magasins are in full splendor - Galleries Lafayette has an ASTONISHING Christmas tree in the middle of the store under the stained glass dome; Au Printemps festoons itself with colorful lights; window displays are magical. As for Pigalle... not as dicey as it used to be, but it is kind of depressing, IMHO. There are a few blocks with a cluster of cool music/instrument shops, but the sex trade stuff can be nasty and/or sad. It really depends on your mood. During one stroll through Pigalle a couple of years ago, my husband and I had a lot of fun and did a lot of laughing at the camp aspect of things. Another time, my cousin and I ended up there after taking a wrong turn and not noticing where we were going, and were horrified...

Posted by
1005 posts

I've done Paris twice at Christmastime. I would recommend staying in an apartment rather than a hotel. Paris shuts down --most restaurants will be closed on the 25th and some even on the 26th. If you have an apartment, you can have a festive Christmas meal--just be sure to buy all your food ahead of time. By the way, many restaurants will be booked for Christmas Eve--reserve early if you want to dine out on the 24th. Otherwise, you will have a great time. You might want to stay for New Year's Eve and see the whole town party--it's quite a scene.

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think I will skip Pigalle this time around. I'm hoping that all the decorations will still be full on, but we are leaving Houston on Christmas Day, I can't bring myself to leave Christmas Eve, I want to see my babies open their gifts (via Skype), also, we didn't want to use up one of our days with most things being closed, so we thought logically, we should travel on the 25th and start our fun on the 26th! I am so very excited! I thought it was colder though, I will take the suggestion to layer and not have to lug around a heavy coat for days, although I will check the weather the day before leaving.

Posted by
9422 posts

The thing about layering is that every time you go inside somewhere that is heated you then have to take off many layers and walk around holding everything (some people carry a bag just to hold that stuff)... one warm coat is more appealing to me. Only one thing to take off and hold onto. No right or wrong way to do it though.. just food for thought. Have a super wonderful time Diane! I wish you all the Best.

Posted by
3696 posts

Have a wonderful time... as far as layering, I would rather carry a few layers than have one big heavy coat that may be too warm for some days. I wear something warm under a lightweight coat and then have a nice shawl to layer over the coat. It can also be used alone if it is not real cold. I told a hat, gloves and warm socks as well as leggings and leg warmers when I was there last Dec. and my clothes were perfect. I have traveled a lot in the winter and this is what I always bring.

Posted by
10252 posts

I'm with Susan. I tried layering and found it very inconvenient when going indoors, whether in museums, stores, restaurants or the metro. We flew to Europe from Houston on Christmas Day (arriving on the 26th) after a long layover with the in-laws on Christmas Eve. You'd be surprised how full that flight was! If I do another winter trip I will bring a down or other type of warm coat. It will be above the knee, but not short. Under it I can wear a couple of light layers. Then I will only have to take one thing off. Be sure to bring gloves, scarves (or buy them there), a hat and warm socks. We brought the hand warmers that can be purchased at sports stores and they were a life saver!!

Posted by
13 posts

Again, very good suggestions...all of them. Not sure whether I'll layer or take a good coat or both, but I will for SURE purchase the handwarmers. I think we can get those here before we leave. And socks (believe it or not) never occurred to me. I'm a high heel wearer (yes even in my condition!) so socks aren't on my radar. I'm the laughing stock of the chemo unit because I'm in heels getting chemo!!! I guess that won't fly with so much walking in Paris. It has been a long time since I've been, so.... I usually dress in business attire for a flight, I'll have to remember comfy but cute sweats. It's a long time away, but it takes me a while to plan. This will be the last trip I'm allowed to take, so I want to think of everything!!! Thanks again to all for such wonderful and thoughtful suggestions. I've gone all out, learning a few phrases of French!

Posted by
123 posts

There are two restaurants on the Eiffle Tower, I had dinner at the lesser expensive one. It was truely a night to remember. Also I enjoyed some of smaller museums. L'Orangerie and The Cluny are two favorites.

Posted by
123 posts

I don't know your situation but if you have a car handicap placard in Texas for your cancer - bring the placard and paperwork with you. I'm sure your doctor would approve one. You can go straight to the front of the line at museums and attractions. There is a certain leg at the Eiffel Tower for disabled. Also the ticket prices are discounted or free. I used mine all over, I don't think I could have done the trip without it.

Posted by
13 posts

That's a really good idea about the handicapped placard. I do not have one yet, even after 5 years of this garbage, my husband keeps asking to to get one, and I think it may be vanity that keeps me from doing it. I'm only 60 and it still hurts to be a senior citizen, lol. But a great idea and I will before I leave. By the time this next treatment is all done, I'll need one anyway. Thanks for the suggestion. All really helpful and great.