Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Germany

Since there seems to be a lot of questions on this forum about where to go or what to do during the Christmas season, I thought I would post this website. I happened to find it last week and it is the most extensive list I have run across yet during my internet surfing. It is in German, but just look for the towns and click on them. Sometimes, once you find a place, you can find more info later. Oh, and it also lists Easter markets and a bunch of other fun events too. Enjoy!

http://www.weihnachtsmarkt-deutschland.de/burgweihnacht.html

Posted by
8934 posts

This sort of got lost amongst the rubble of some of our more "exciting" threads on the RS forum. So, for your viewing pleasure or just to bookmark for future vacations - Christmas events in Germany.

Posted by
386 posts

What a nice idea, Jo!
I will follow suit!

I know some of you will be spending Christmastime in and around Salzburg.
I promise to reply soon. I have been very busy, sorry for the delay!

http://www.christkindlmarkt.co.at/index.php?id=76

The Advent season is slowly getting on the way here, the first Christmas decorations are showing up here and there, and the stalls selling Glühwein and roasted chestnuts are open for business. That's when I always know the special time is drawing nearer :-))

Up until now, we have experiencing a warm spell with very mild temperatures, but right now a cold front is moving in, and I can smell winter in the air for the first time.
I have got a nice fire going in my Schwedenofen, I am ready :-))

Posted by
671 posts

Corinna, you are killing me. : ) I haven't been in Germany for Christmas since 92, and I am about to jump out of my skin out of excitement for our upcoming trip and their first Weihnachts martkt! My family doesn't even know what joys await them.

Thanks, Jo- you are a treasure on this board.

Posted by
386 posts

I concur that Jo is a treasure on this board! :-))

Cate, I wish you and your family a wonderful, magical, enchanting time in Germany! You are right that they don't know what delights await them, it is impossible to convey the sounds, the smells and the atmosphere. I am sure they will love it :-))

Posted by
8934 posts

You guys make me blush! I just like providing interesting websites for people to look at. Got to say, I enjoy the way Corinna writes, she almost makes you smell the yummy stuff.

They do have our giant Christmas tree up in the Römer square and they were hanging the lights yesterday, along with putting up the lights all over town. So, will have to stroll around one evening this week. The Christmas market opens here on the 26th, but what I am looking forward to is the "Pealing of the Bells" on the 29th. This only happens 4 times a year. The bells from 10 churches downtown ring together in harmony for 30 min. They do this again on Christmas Eve too. We do have some lovely bells so I think this will be a beautiful thing to hear. I have always missed it due to work, etc. so this year, I will get to finally hear them.

Posted by
8934 posts

I am bumping this back to the front of the line again, since folks are still asking about where they should go.