Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Germany/Austria

I need some ideas for where to spend Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Boxing Day. We'll be in Frankfurt & Munich leading up to those days. I'm wondering if we should do Salzburg, Vienna, or Garmisch. Would like a luxury type accommodation. I know most things will be shut down so an area where we could at least walk around and enjoy beautiful scenery is a plus. We can rent a car and do drives. I'd also like ideas on Christmas meals.

Posted by
12040 posts

"I know most things will be shut down so an area where we could at least walk around and enjoy beautiful scenery is a plus." Except the possibility of Christmas Day, expect everything to be open and bustling. Garmisch is a winter resort town, and the Christmas holiday is probably the busiest time of the year.

Posted by
813 posts

The Salzburg Christmas market is one of the best. Christmas eve many restaurants will be closed, yet open Christmas day. In a touristy town, you should be able to find something open on any day, even a holiday. Ask your hotel for a recommendation. You'll get more luxury in Salzburg or Vienna than Garmisch.

Posted by
258 posts

I think all 3 would be great for xmas eve and xmas day (I have been to all 3 areas in Dec.), but from a location perspective, you are probably best off w/ Salzburg or Garmish. Vienna is much further east. Vienna IS beautiful in Dec. at xmas time, but you just would need to factor in a bit more time. From Munich, both Garmisch and Salzburg is VERY easy either by train or car. I was in Austria and Germany at xmas time a few yrs back. I started out in Vienna. The Christkindl market beneath the Rathaus was great. Typical, festive xmas market; a real specticle at night with all of the booths, gifts and crafts, festive lights and decoartions, food and drink, etc. As much as I loved Vienna, I REALLY loved Salzburg at that time of year. I was there in the last few days leading up top xmas eve, and it was idylic. Snow on the ground, the fortress and surrounding mountains covered in snow, the market; locals and tourists in festive mood; all just made for a very memorable experience in late December. Depending on your budget, if you're looking for luxury in Salzburg; The Sacher is fantastic. The Sacher in Vienna is one of Austria's finast hotels; and the location in Salzburg is equally as luxurious. I did not stay there, but did treat myself to drinks in the piano bar one evening and then to dinner at 1 of its restaurants (expensive, BUT, the hotel has several restaurants. The grill restaurant was not nearly as expensive as the gourmet restaurant). Food was excellent and the environment was festive, sophisticated (yet somewhat relaxed.) Xmas dinner at The Sacher would make for a memorable way to spend the evening (and will give you bragging rights for having eaten at one of Austria's best!)

Posted by
23357 posts

Boxing day is a British tradition and not followed where you will be. Christmas eve will be closed but the Germans love their beer halls and that is where everyone is on Christmas day.

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you for the replies. I reallize Boxing Day is a British tradition but mention it because many corporations here in the states close Monday when Christmas falls on a Sunday as it does this year. Good to hear the beer halls will be up and running!
I'm leaning toward Vienna for the 24th and 25th. I'll have three more nights (the 26th-28th) I need to decide what to do with. Am interested in Salzburg (will be heading back to Munich from Vienna) and also the castle areas. Am also intrigued by the salt mines and spas. Should I base in Salzburg and do day trips? I night or two in Salzburg and then a night elsewhere?

Posted by
1821 posts

Many years ago we spent Dec. 23-25 in Badgastein, Austria. It was magical.....crystallized snowflakes the size of salad plates, swept paths for hiking, and a pagent Christmas Eve. We stayed at the Gruener Baum, an old family resort above the town. Christmas day we hired a horse-drawn sleigh which took us back many miles into the woods where there was a small inn which served hot spiced wine. You might want to check it out for your December 24-26....... Everyone "dressed" for Christmas Eve dinner. It did seem as if many of the families there returned each year, so it may be fully booked.

Posted by
719 posts

We spent Christmas '09 in Bavaria. The 12 days were all over southern Germany and bits of Austria. We spent Christmas Eve in Garmisch (places to eat, but surprisingly, most shops shut down mid afternoon. This was contrary to what even the TI woman told us would happen). So, we attended a children's pageant in the local church, which was excellent. Christmas day we left Garmisch taking the scenich route to Munich, stopping for lunch in Oberammergau, then getting to Munich for the next few evenings. We spent Christmas Day evening in the Hofbrau Haus. It was definitely lively. The market was gone by christmas day in Munich. The 26th we day tripped to Salzburg. That was a mistake, we should have stayed in Salzburg for a night or two. On the way, we toured Heren Chiemsee, which was excellent, but takes several hours since the palace is on an island, and you're reliant on ferries to get you there. The market is still going in Salzburg on the 26th, and everything is open. Spectacular town, I highly recommend it.