Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Europe

Thinking about Christmas in Europe, but having trouble narrowing down the city(s) of choice.

France - Paris? Provence? Brittany?
Germany - Berlin? Munich? Black Forest area?
Austria - Vienna? Saltzberg?

Any others I should consider?

Posted by
8293 posts

Have you investigated any of the flight possibilities? At this late date you may not have a great choice of cities.

Posted by
837 posts

Paris, Strasbourg, Salzburg, from experience last year. However,although you didn't mention it, London is the best. Go in the above order and fly from Salzburg to London. Fly open jaw.

Posted by
1175 posts

Flights usually go on sale 330 days in advance of travel. We grab flights then to use FF miles. Most cities have spectacular Christmas offerings requiring tickets well in advance and are usually sold out. That doesn't mean you can't find plenty to do and see in any city in the UK (our favorite is London) or Europe. Hotels might also be in short supply but I would still encourage you to start with airfare, then a place to sleep, then start in on holiday performances in the city of your choice. Christmas in London was one of our most memorable in many years.

Posted by
1175 posts

Flights usually go on sale 330 days in advance of travel. We grab flights then to use FF miles. Most cities have spectacular Christmas offerings requiring tickets well in advance and are usually sold out. That doesn't mean you can't find plenty to do and see in any city in the UK (our favorite is London) or Europe. Hotels might also be in short supply but I would still encourage you to start with airfare, then a place to sleep, then start in on holiday performances in the city of your choice. Christmas in London was one of our most memorable in many years.

Posted by
818 posts

Last Christmas was in Venice - it was great.booked FF miles - flew into Munich and spent a day at
Christmas markets and beer halls and then into Italy. Lived Venice at Christmas.

Posted by
1068 posts

Looks like Icelandair has great fares for short-notice travel to the UK right now.

And London is... GREAT. I mean, the Victorian English basically invented our modern idea of Christmas, so you can't beat London for lights and decorations and festivity.

Well, and then there's Paris, which is quite magnificent at Christmas. Just magical!

Have only been in Munich in October. ;-)

Posted by
43 posts

We also have 4 weeks end of year in Europe.

Not sure what order or what is too much of the same but thinking of

Prague, Munich, Salzburg, southern Bavaria, Innsbruck, Lucerne, Chur, Venice

Anyone help with order - want to include both dolomites and Bernina Express route

thanks
Leanne