Please sign in to post.

Chartres Cathedral

This may sound like a dumb question, but here goes. Is Chartres Cathedral open to visitors on Sunday? Or is it open only to worshipers (visitors prohibited so as not to disturb the worshipers). Thanks.

Posted by
12040 posts

"I've also been to a mariachi Mass in San Antonio (don't speak Spanish)" Yes, that sparks a memory! That was an amazing experience! To answer your question, you can walk around the cathedral anytime a mass is not in session. If a mass is on-going, you can still enter, but you should remain in the pew.

Posted by
1337 posts

The cathedral is opened in Sundays, but it is rude to go in during the services unless you're attending the service.

Posted by
23 posts

Go to the service! I'm not Catholic, and I don't speak much French, but I went to Mass at Notre Dame in Paris once and really enjoyed it. I've also been to a mariachi Mass in San Antonio (don't speak Spanish) and a Greek Orthodox service in Chicago (in Greek--don't speak Greek). All were great cultural experiences--I learned a lot in those short hours.

Posted by
95 posts

The only disadvantage to going to Chartres on a Sunday is that the wonderful, charming Malcolm Miller doesn't give his tours that day. But, Chartres, even without a tour, is a marvelous place to experience, during a mass or any other time. One of my all time favorites!

Posted by
1337 posts

En plus, many of the restaurants are closed as well. There are some great restaurants, too.

Posted by
768 posts

Thanks to all. We couldn't get to Chartres in time for Mass, but we did attend Mass at St. Sulpice in Paris. Neither my wife or I speak French, but we received the message.

Posted by
1446 posts

Sundays, from the 1st of June to August 29th, the Cathedral remains open until 22h00. During this period, there is also a musical program on Sunday evenings, called "Les soirées autrement à Chartres".