Please sign in to post.

CDG airport

I am flying through CDG on my way to Naples on a Sunday in October, and have only one hour between flights. I want to make sure I'm prepared because we do not have a lot of time. I am assuming we will have to go through passport control, is this correct? But I'm hoping we won't have to go back through security. Any information you guys can give me will be appreciated, also tips on this particular airport.
Thanks!

Posted by
8700 posts

I hope that you are traveling on one ticket on one airline or on code share airlines and that your bags will be checked through. If so, the airline will be responsible for getting you on the next available flight to Naples if you miss your connection. Will you both arrive and depart from Terminal 2? One hour is the minimum recommended connection time for connections between the branches of Terminal 2. You will have to go through both immigration/passport control and security.

Posted by
36 posts

Yes I purchased a single round trip ticket through Delta. The two segments are both operated by Air France. Does this mean they would both be in terminal 2? We do carry on only so no concerns for luggage.

Posted by
10176 posts

With one hour, you might not make it. Even if the two flights were in Terminal 2, the terminal is huge. Furthermore, passport control is unpredictable. Air France has planes arriving and leaving from all the terminals, so being an internal EU flight (like Columbus to St. Louis) it might be in Terminal 1. In any case, they'll just put you on a later plane.

Posted by
32198 posts

@Southam, "CdG is a major cause of high blood pressure for passengers faced with connections." My last trip through YYZ in July was equally a cause of high blood pressure! Perhaps they were just having a bad day but I've never seen such chaos, not only with the airline but also security and whoever assigns gates for the aircraft. I'll be sure to tell the Travel Agent that I WON'T be connecting through YYZ in future. Cheers!

Posted by
4037 posts

CdG is a major cause of high blood pressure for passeners faced with connections. Among other hazards, many airlines now close their cabin doors long before the published departure times. Some solace can be found in the useful airport site http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/en-GB/Passagers/Home/ You can find maps and diagrams of the various terminals; print out any that will help you navigate. It also provides rather shaky advice on how long it takes to get from one gate to another.
Since you are with Delta/Air France do not be afraid to approach the ground personnel for help if time is runnning away from you.

Posted by
5835 posts

In my limited experience CDG is up there with Heathrow in terms of stressful connections. Our worst case CDG connection involved disembarking at a remote corner then getting bussed to a out building passport control and security screening building before being bussed again to a main terminal. 1.5 hours became a close connect to Air France. Advice: Be prepared to run. Find our which terminals and which gates if possible. Study the terminal maps. Be aggressive and run. As a back up on inbound to Naples, find out about the next two flights to Naples in case you need to rebook. I should add that since you already booked, breath deeply, think pure thoughts and relax. You are in Air France's hands.

Posted by
36 posts

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but how would I find out the terminal and gate information ahead of time?

Posted by
5835 posts

Jess, To find out about gates check today's flight status of the flight number you are booked on the day before departure. For Delta, go to the "Flight Status" tab on their home page http://www.delta.com. Use yesterday's's date and your flight number. You should get arrival info including gate number. To get your departure gate, use today's date. Gates do change but the terminals are usually the same.
That said black swan events like weather related events can disrupt terminal operations.

Posted by
1005 posts

I've had tight connections at CDG too. One trick is to take a look at the passport control lines. Usually there is a separate line for first class/business travelers. If the general public line is very long, go up to the agent at the first class line, show him/her your boarding pass, and explain that you might miss your connecting flight. Usually the agent will let you in this faster line. As others have said, check the gates for both your arriving and departing flights on the Air France website for a few days prior to your flight. Look at a Terminal 2 map and chart your path between these gates. Also, be prepared for last-minute gate changes.

Posted by
8700 posts

All Air France flights operate out of Terminal 2. AF flights from Chicago arrive at 2E. AF flights to Naples depart from 2F. All Delta flights use 2E. Gate assignments are subject to change.

Posted by
36 posts

Actually when I try what Edgar suggested it says the flights from JFK to CDG come into terminal 1. What are the transport options between terminals?

Posted by
8700 posts

Jess, I think you're misreading the information on the Delta site. It shows flights departing from Termina1 1 at JFK but arriving at Terminal 2E at CDG.

Posted by
36 posts

O ok, good, thank you so much for your help!